170 slant six help camshaft question.

-
hey I have a plymouth valiant-65 with a 170 slant six that I'm looking to renovate some, I'm considering to replacing the camshaft, I wonder if it is possible to put in a camshaft from a 225 slant six in it? will it fit?? any other problems?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl64-247-4/overview/make/plymouth

It possible to use that cam in your engine, but not recommended. That is a hydraulic cam and lifter kit. Your engine used a solid cam and lifters. All slant six cams will fit any slant six engine. But to use the hydraulic cam, you will also need to change the pushrods, rocker arms and shaft. The biggest problem is the pushrods. The 170 never had a hydraulic cam from the factory, so you would have to buy custom length pushrods.
You might want to go to www.slantsix.org and search for discussion on cams. There are many cams available for the slant six, and you need to determine what you want from the engine before buying a cam.
PS: A 170 s more critical on cam selection then the 225, as the valves and pistons want to occupy the same space at the same time, if you get a little too much lift, unlike the 225

It possible to use that cam in your engine, but not recommended. That is a hydraulic cam and lifter kit. Your engine used a solid cam and lifters. All slant six cams will fit any slant six engine. But to use the hydraulic cam, you will also need to change the pushrods, rocker arms and shaft. The biggest problem is the pushrods. The 170 never had a hydraulic cam from the factory, so you would have to buy custom length pushrods.
You might want to go to www.slantsix.org and search for discussion on cams. There are many cams available for the slant six, and you need to determine what you want from the engine before buying a cam.
PS: A 170 s more critical on cam selection then the 225, as the valves and pistons want to occupy the same space at the same time, if you get a little too much lift, unlike the 225

okey thank you very much for the information :)

-
Back