170 versus 225...

-

53ryder

Reaction score
Can one tell the difference between a '170' slant 6 and a '225' slant 6 just by looking? Are there any obvious signs other than what a sticker on the air filter housing says? I'm thinking around 1963 thru 1966 roughly.

Any thoughts?

Glenn

the hose between the head and water pump is 1 inch longer on the 225. With gear drive hose clamps the clamps almost touch each other on the 170. If you have seen enough of them you can spot a 170 on sight in an a-body engine bay because they are visible shorter than a 225. I believe displacement is stamped into the data flange on the blockside of the head gasket seam jsut behind the alternator. It is likely covered in gunk.

I believe displacement is stamped into the data flange on the blockside of the head gasket seam jsut behind the alternator. It is likely covered in gunk.

Correct. X2.

The 198 is also a RG motor (tall block). However, it is unlikely to be in a 63-66. As is plain on this board, folks'll swap about anything they have on hand into an A-body to get it on down the road more to their satisfaction.

Correct. X2.

The 198 is also a RG motor (tall block). However, it is unlikely to be in a 63-66. As is plain on this board, folks'll swap about anything they have on hand into an A-body to get it on down the road more to their satisfaction.
Correct!!! :cheers:

Thanks! I guess I'd better start looking at more engines to acquire an accomplished eye.

Glenn

You could post of picture of the engine in the engine bay and a picture of the hose between the water pump and head. That should be enough to id a 170 vs 225

If equipped with a stock exhaust manifold, I look at where the #1 or front cyl. exhaust manifold runner comes down and turns to clear the water pump mounting flange on the block. If you can't slip your finger in between the two it's a 170. The larger engines you can easily slip a couple fingers in between these two parts. I also agree with other ways stated by other respondents as also being useful. As far as the numbers on the pad on the front upper right (pass.) side of the block go, they can be hard to see if the alternator is in position. And if the engine has been rebuilt and the block machined to true up the head gasket surface, these identifying numbers will often be gone or so faint as to be unreadable.

-
Back