17x8 wheels on a 68 Cuda Fastback

-

evans68cuda

Reaction score
So I ordered some 17x8 wheels with a 5.5" bs for the fronts on my cuda but instead I got a 4.75" backspace. Mocked them up and I'm thinking they'll fit! No interference on the tie rods or upper A arms and seem to fit in the wheel well pretty good! Any people kno for a fact these won't fit and I should just return them? Or try them out. I don't have the engine in right now so not sure how it'll sit yet but I don't plan on lowering it. Just making the wheel flush with the fender (no gap from top of wheel and the fender) thanks!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I can't answer you question, but I had to say, "Looks like you have quite a project going on there." I tore a 69 Fastback COMPLETELY apart and restored it. And although I really like driving it now, I think I like restoring and building them more. I wish I had room for another project. Enjoy the build. What color are you thinking about?

I can't answer you question, but I had to say, "Looks like you have quite a project going on there." I tore a 69 Fastback COMPLETELY apart and restored it. And although I really like driving it now, I think I like restoring and building them more. I wish I had room for another project. Enjoy the build. What color are you thinking about?
Same here. Don't know what I'll do when this is done. I defiantly don't wanna sell it so not sure what I'll be doing for the next project. I enjoy building them though and constantly thinking about what part I would do next. As far as color not sure yet. Original is light blue. Code uu1 I believe. So either that or burgundy. Got a link to your cars build?

What size tires do you want to run? I think the outside edge is might stick out too much at the center top. Pretty sure going to have to move/fold/cut the front bottom corner fender lip.

I've mocked up 275/40/17 on 17x8 with ?2000 mustang rims with around 5.5" backpacking. Little narrow rim for that tire.

What Steve said. All depends on the tire you want to run. But, with those 4.75" backspace rims you probably won't even be able to run 245's without cutting and rolling, even on a Barracuda. I'd be sending them back. The 17x8's with 5.5" of backspace won't hit the tie rod ends or UCA's either, and you could run 255's on those.

I was planning on running 235 or 245 45 17s. Seems like 5.5 bs might hit the upper arms. I just really don't want time tires to be too far into the body, and more outward. And what are you guys doing with the rears? Possible to fit 17x9?? Put these in the rear with just under 1.5" to the leaf spring and about 1" to the fender lip.

I was planning on running 235 or 245 45 17s. Seems like 5.5 bs might hit the upper arms. I just really don't want time tires to be too far into the body, and more outward. And what are you guys doing with the rears? Possible to fit 17x9?? Put these in the rear with just under 1.5" to the leaf spring and about 1" to the fender lip.

A 17x8 with 5.5" of backspace should not hit the UCA's. I was at about 6.2" of backspace before my 18x9's hit the UCA's at full steering lock and suspension extension, and that was just barely a touch. 17's hit the outer tie rod first, but that's usually not an issue until you go past 5.6" of backspace, and that's rim dependent. Mustang Bullitt rims start to have issues around 5.6-5.7". I know of one car that was running 17x9's with 6" of backspace up front that was road worthy, but that was with Cobra R rims.

If all you want to run is 235's up front you should be ok with what you have, but keep in mind any brake upgrades or anything else down the road usually widens track width. And the wheel openings are pretty tight on the lower front corner for Barracuda's, so the more backspace you have the less likely you are to have interference there. If it were me I'd send them back and get the 17x8's with 5.5" of backspace, run the 245's and not have to sweat the fender clearance. But that's just me. It's a lot easier to add an 1/8" spacer if things are tighter to the suspension than you want than it is to cut/roll/push your fenders if you need an 1/8" on the outside.

In the back you can fit a 17x9" on a Barracuda, with anything up to about a 275 with the stock spring locations. You've got an A-body 8 3/4 that's been converted to BBP I take it? You should want a 17x9 with about 5" of backspace, based on your measurements that would center the rim in the rear tub. I'd be looking for a 17x9 and 5" to 5.25" of backspace, same theory as before. You don't need as much clearance to the springs as you do to the quarters, and an 1/8" spacer is easy and won't cause you any problems if you need it for spring clearance. But if you're too close to the quarters you need new rims or smaller tires.

A 17x8 with 5.5" of backspace should not hit the UCA's. I was at about 6.2" of backspace before my 18x9's hit the UCA's at full steering lock and suspension extension, and that was just barely a touch. 17's hit the outer tie rod first, but that's usually not an issue until you go past 5.6" of backspace, and that's rim dependent. Mustang Bullitt rims start to have issues around 5.6-5.7". I know of one car that was running 17x9's with 6" of backspace up front that was road worthy, but that was with Cobra R rims.

If all you want to run is 235's up front you should be ok with what you have, but keep in mind any brake upgrades or anything else down the road usually widens track width. And the wheel openings are pretty tight on the lower front corner for Barracuda's, so the more backspace you have the less likely you are to have interference there. If it were me I'd send them back and get the 17x8's with 5.5" of backspace, run the 245's and not have to sweat the fender clearance. But that's just me. It's a lot easier to add an 1/8" spacer if things are tighter to the suspension than you want than it is to cut/roll/push your fenders if you need an 1/8" on the outside.

In the back you can fit a 17x9" on a Barracuda, with anything up to about a 275 with the stock spring locations. You've got an A-body 8 3/4 that's been converted to BBP I take it? You should want a 17x9 with about 5" of backspace, based on your measurements that would center the rim in the rear tub. I'd be looking for a 17x9 and 5" to 5.25" of backspace, same theory as before. You don't need as much clearance to the springs as you do to the quarters, and an 1/8" spacer is easy and won't cause you any problems if you need it for spring clearance. But if you're too close to the quarters you need new rims or smaller tires.
Great explanation! Thank you. I'll be sending these back today then. I'll also check out some 17x9 now. I have an a body 8 3/4 with the b body offset axles Have any pics of your car with the 5.5 back spacing up front?

Great explanation! Thank you. I'll be sending these back today then. I'll also check out some 17x9 now. I have an a body 8 3/4 with the b body offset axles Have any pics of your car with the 5.5 back spacing up front?

Huh? No, I don't run a 5.5" backspace on the front of my car. The ~5.6" number is from all the guys that run the Mustang Bullitt rims, it's pretty well established that's what works. On my Duster I run 18x9's with 6.1" of backspace and 275/35/18's. On an 18" rim the tie rod fits inside the rim so you don't have to worry about the tie rod ends anymore and can run more backspace to clear the 275's.

IMG_1915.JPG

IMG_3759.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

I know you have already decided to send the rims back, but i think its the right decision. Dont limit yourself, you never know what mods you plan on doing in the future that you may need that room. i am running a 9.5 wide up front and a 10 in the rear. i wussed out and only did a 245/40/18 up front. the tire looks a bit stretched on the rim but was my first time with the setup and wanted to be sure i didnt have any issues. it always sucks getting a nice new shiny rims and having to send em back. but i think your making the right call.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but if you are thinking about another project and want to make some room, I might be interested in your 69 Fastback. Send me a PM if you want to discuss it.

-
Back