18 or 23 spline? Iron or aluminum?

-

73 408 Duster

Reaction score
Alright guys, I am putting together a 1971 Duster. It will have a 500 stroker motor, I would like to install an 833 transmission. I have found two 4 speeds to choose from, which is better the iron or aluminum case? Also since I can't seem to find a 18 spline will a 23 spline hold up to my motor without any problems? I have included the link of the two available and am going to purchase one of them tommorow, please let me know which is better for my application and what to look for.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/935411751.html

Either one should be fine, if it were me I would inspect the both closely and if he is willing to take off the side cover, do so. He should since you want to buy one. Or buy both and have a spare. If you have the means decode the #'s the cast one could be a close ratio. What size input barring and output? The larger 727 output is more desirable and the input barring retainer size matters as well. If I were you I would offer $350 for both and hope he bites then you would have more options. http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm read this it has a lot of very good info.

Deals still do exist! I went down today to pick up one of them and he ended up selling me both of them for $150.00 cash. Thanks for the advice.:cheers:

Maybe you guys can tell me

The cast iron one reads:
I believe it is out of a 72 Duster

2B501136
PP8333986-043
C99129 H

The aluminum one reads:
I believe this one is an OD

6G18394
FP 833-5337

the iron case is stronger if your planning on abusing the car. i had an aluminum pro shifted trans and liberty gears recomended i put the internals in a iron case for drag racing.

Maybe you guys can tell me

The cast iron one reads:
I believe it is out of a 72 Duster

2B501136
PP8333986-043
C99129 H

The aluminum one reads:
I believe this one is an OD

6G18394
FP 833-5337

The 72 trans is out of something that was built at hamtramack in 1972 , they built A bodies AND E bodies , if it's from an A body they built more than dusters there , not that it matters .

The alum one is an OD trans unless someone swapped in the guts from a non OD trans .

-
Back