18'' Wheels on your A? What size tires are you running? Post Pics!

-
there are 2 guys with dusters on this site that say they fit bullet rims with an abody 8 3/4 with the springs in the stock location and no spacers. i do not see how that is possible. as far as i know, the a body 8 1/4 and 8 3/4 are the same width, with bbp axles in the 8 3/4. my duster was factory bbp with a 8 1/4 and i needed 3/4" of spacer to clear my rear springs. i couldnt find any so i went with 1" billet adapters. just something to think about.

Not sure how an 8.75" rear with BBP axles and an 8.25" rear compares.

I have measured a buddy's A-Body axle and his was 58" with drums after the BBP conversion. That is about 3/4" wider than the SBP axles are supposed to be.

My theory is that the bigger brakes on the BBP axles require more stick out on the axle, and since the housing doesn't change, the conversion ends up wider than before.

Using 58" for the axle width, and a 245/45 tire on a 17x8 wheel with 30mm offset, I get about 1/4" clear to the spring. This probably depends on the actual tire width, I am using a nominal 245/25.4 for the width.

245/25.4 = 9.6457" wide tire, half that plus 30mm offset = 6.0039" from the outside of the tire to the mounting surface.

58" - 2 times 6.0039 = 45.9921 between the tires.

Subtract 43" (spring center to center) and 2.5" for the springs (1.25 per side) leaves almost 1/2" total, or 1/4" per side. Tighter than I would like but I could see it working.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if different axle conversions didn't give different widths. Meaning that an axle for a D100 might be longer after cutting for an A-Body conversion than one from a C-Body, giving different overall widths depending on which axle you cut.

-
Back