1938 Dodge pick up!

-

340butterduster

no title
Reaction score
Hey guys, this one is out of my usual MOPAR tinkering. I've been wanting a mid '30's pick-up for ages... Finally came across one, that is all steel, but needs to be completely restored, it's a '38 Dodge pick up truck. The only things missing are the driver's side door glass, windshield, rear bumper, wiper arms and all the weather stripping. This puppy is very solid, from the frame up.

Can you all point me in the right direction for parts, forum...
This is what I want for a street rod, I don't even mind glass fenders for this project.

Any help, as usual, greatly appreciated.

Could also try hotrodders.com... it's a relatively small forum but who knows... might find somethin.

From what I can see in those tiny pics... it looks pretty good, haha. Course... unless the body parts look like swiss cheese I think anything would look good in pics that small :p

You can go take a look here for some inspiration.... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/. But whatever you do... do NOT say streetrod and do not say fiberglass... rough crowd those guys are, lol.

All kewl, these baby comes with a rebuilt flathead 6 (6 volt) generator, and a complete spare drive train in the box (steel bed) rare for '38, most floor4s were wood, due to the war.

I love old trucks. Nice to see that you've found a Dodge. Before I got really interested about A bodies, I spent huge amounts of time on truck forums. Unfortunately, I was only into Chevs. Dodge trucks are really hard to find around here, let alone in good condition. But with Chevys, there's just so many of em. I've came across 10 or so 60-66, and another 10 or so 67-72. The bad thing about some of the early trucks( pre 70s mostly), is the fact that they lived hard lives. One truck I came across needed almost every panel replace because of huge dents, and lots of rust. It would be cool to find a 1 and a half ton truck. I'm love the bigger trucks. I even found one that has a very small amount of rust for being almost 70 years old. But I doubt I will be able to purchase it, being a teen, a 3 ton truck is not a good choice for a restoration. Here's a pic. It's a 1941-46 Chevy flatbed.

HI9290~1.jpg

Zach, surprisingly it's extremely solid, only the bottom of doors (slight) and cab corners have been patched (welded sheet metal). The only fining on the body is the firewall (dented) and the odd ding, even the tailgate doesn't require much work.

But at the moment, he's asking a bit more then I'm willing to pay. Mostly because of parts availability, glass and weatherstrip. But I think I still might pay for it, just 'cuz.

don't do like me, talk about it and then when you are ready to go get he says, " I sold it yesterday." That happened to me! 46 dodge, garaged by original owner since new, like a time capsule.

But at the moment, he's asking a bit more then I'm willing to pay. Mostly because of parts availability, glass and weatherstrip. But I think I still might pay for it, just 'cuz.

Roberts Motor Parts lists some of those parts in their ad in Hemmings. I didn't look on their website or look for other distributors but parts don't look too expensive. The glass is flat so you should be able to have it cut locally if no one lists it.
Dallas

I love old trucks. Nice to see that you've found a Dodge. Before I got really interested about A bodies, I spent huge amounts of time on truck forums. Unfortunately, I was only into Chevs. Dodge trucks are really hard to find around here, let alone in good condition. But with Chevys, there's just so many of em. I've came across 10 or so 60-66, and another 10 or so 67-72. The bad thing about some of the early trucks( pre 70s mostly), is the fact that they lived hard lives. One truck I came across needed almost every panel replace because of huge dents, and lots of rust. It would be cool to find a 1 and a half ton truck. I'm love the bigger trucks. I even found one that has a very small amount of rust for being almost 70 years old. But I doubt I will be able to purchase it, being a teen, a 3 ton truck is not a good choice for a restoration. Here's a pic. It's a 1941-46 Chevy flatbed.

There's a local guy who has been going to farm sales in KS for years and bringing back really clean 1 1/2-2 ton grain trucks. These are in super nice shape since they have always been stored inside and have low miles since they were only used to haul grain once a year during harvest. Most of them have been late 40's-early 50's models. They don't bring much money since most people don't want the heavier trucks.
Dallas

Looks to be all flat glass. Any glass shop can get it and cut it for cheap even the old school aqua blue tint glass like in my 53 if you wanted. I would try Hemmings or one of the many gasket suppliers out there for the gaskets.

Bigger pics! :worthles:

I've always loved '30's trucks, finding a Dodge is awesome. I picked up a '37 Dodge truck off of a ranch last summer. It's going to get a 331 hemi eventually :-D. Pretty much the same as a '38, with some minor styling differences. Still part of the "fore point" era ('36-'38 ). Check this out for a little more info...http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/history/segment4.html

As 360scamp said, all the glass is in fact flat, so getting window glass made is a piece of cake.

The hamb (jalopy journal) forum is great, but you may want to do a little lurking first to get a feel for things. Its a big forum, and there are a lot of, well, how would you say it..."opinions" ;-). But there's also a TON of info and knowledge. I'm on there more than here nowadays.

You can also check out the Dodge and Dodge brothers forum here http://forums.aaca.org/f143/

or the P15-D24 forums here
http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/index.php
although this one supposed to be 40's-50's mopars, it has a lot of overlapping info on '30's stuff.

This is mine, prior to be moved off the ranch....
IMG_4391copy.jpg

You can go take a look here for some inspiration.... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/. But whatever you do... do NOT say streetrod and do not say fiberglass... rough crowd those guys are, lol.

Hey, I am one of those guys! On the Journal, you will want to click on the H.A.M.B. (Hokey *** Message Board) and check out the classifieds.

I'm on there also. Just talk old school and you'll be fine. They don't like 20s and billit.

All you guys are great, fantastic sites and info, just what I was looking for.

For the time being, I'm thinking of simply getting it in running/driving condition, the flathead 6 has been gone over apparently and ready to fire up. Need to go over the brakes and steering.
With time will come the nice interior, fresh paint, rims...
There's a complete spare drivetrain sitting in the box, flathead 6, transmission and rear end.

Now to get a hold of the seller again, and negotiate the price.

Hey, I am one of those guys! On the Journal, you will want to click on the H.A.M.B. (Hokey *** Message Board) and check out the classifieds.

Now I know who I can bother...

Roberts Motor Parts lists some of those parts in their ad in Hemmings. I didn't look on their website or look for other distributors but parts don't look too expensive. The glass is flat so you should be able to have it cut locally if no one lists it.
Dallas

I was paging through Hemmings today, for that purpose.

Looks to be all flat glass. Any glass shop can get it and cut it for cheap even the old school aqua blue tint glass like in my 53 if you wanted. I would try Hemmings or one of the many gasket suppliers out there for the gaskets.

I realized the glass was not that big an issue, after the fact, being it is/was flat. I only wish they would've saved a piece of weatherstrip, so I knew what to look for. Any ideas about engine/trans gaskets?

For restoration parts:

Roberts Motor Parts and/or Andy Bernbaum Parts (both in MA).

For some repop and street rod parts: SRPM

http://www.srpmstreetrods.com/render.cz?method=ind

You can thank me later.

How about I thank you now, that is perfect! :cheers:

I saved it this morning from it's "smallblock Chevy" :munky2: future. It will be here with me the 2nd weekend of April :cheers:.

I can't wait to start working on it.
Still no pictures, but here is the add for some pics.

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-v...p-trucks-1938-dodge-pickup-W0QQAdIdZ189870865

To late, it's sold!
It came with the original owners manual, the original maintenance manual, and a parts list manual, sweeeet! I was looking for some, so I could use as reference and a new "Dodge pickups History & restoration Guide 1918-1971".

The radiator and heater core have already been rebuilt as well as the generator and starter, the engine has been gone over and said to be good to go. I guess I'll soon find out. I'm not loosing any sleep over the drive train, but it would be cool to be able to drive it.

Two more weekends :clock:

-
Back