1955 baby hemi

-
Depends on which one, Dodge, Desoto or Chrysler. The Chrysler will be worth the most.

Chuck

What cu inch is it, did'nt they do like 3 different 300 and something cu inch hemi's

This is most likely a 1955 fire Dome hemi. A 291 cu inch :salute:

or it could be a 1955 desotDeSoto 276.1 Cubic Inch Hemi (Model S-17)

276.jpg

The little Hemi's don't usually bring much money. Hard to find parts for also. PAW don't show anything for Hemi's smaller than 354. Their not a good performance item. Good mostly only for ratrods that want a hemi in it cheap and good for original restorations.

1966 dart wagon said:
276 cu. hemi eh, what kinda numbers did these put out(hp), how were they vs. chebby and ferd?

Don't remember the numbers right off hand but it wasn't much compared to todays standards. I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 180-200 hp. Compared to what Chevy and Ford had it was decent though considering the time.

Some of the prices on those are salty, I've played around with the idea of buying Hemi heads and intake for my '56 270CID poly ( It's a bolt on swap ), I wanted to stay with 270 Hemi heads, but I could use any of the smaller Hemi heads. All the heads I've seen are going for 500-1k and need to be gone through. I have run across a couple deals like a compleat froze 331 with trans for 500. It would just be easyer to build a newer engine... and with all the room i have under the hood a 440 would look real good.

You can't put Chrysler heads on a Dodge block. You need Dodge hemi heads.

That said, the DeSoto is the least valuable of the early hemis due to the lack of performance parts available. There are still parts out there for the Dodge engines, and of course the Chrysler hemis. The Dodge is the smallest (physically) and lightest. In terms of desirability the 392 and 354 Chryslers are at the top followed by the 325 Dodge and 315 Dodge, then the 331 Chrysler.

I sold my 325 with fresh heads in October for $1,750.

-
Back