1958 dodge d100 rear brakes

-

twodog45

Reaction score
i have a 1958 dodge d100 with drum rear brakes. when i got the truck it is missing some rear brake parts. it has the 2 wheel cyclinder set up.
has anyone found a way to change them to a single wheel cylinder set up? like from a newer d100? any info would be greatly appreciated.
i am almost done with the front disc conversion and will be tackling the rear brakes next

Is it taper axle ? If so, I believe the up to 1964 10''x 2 1/2'' rear brake set up will work.
I ask because I too apart a D100 1958 rear that only had 1 wheel cylinder per side.
Same as the passenger car.
It was taper axle. The pumpkin was a 658 casting # with 3.58 gear ratio.
Sorry I don't have any parts left over any more.

Be good to swap the whole thing over to a 1965 and newer axle. newer brakes, flanged axles, better service & repair parts availability, etc

I'm going to go with the 10" rear drum brakes with single wheel cylinder. Found backing plates, hardware, shoes and drums

Make sure it will bolt to your housing. They had different bolt patterns on the 50’s axle housings.

and how do you know the offset on the backing plates will line up with the hubs on the axle to have the drum in the right place to line up with the brake shoes?

that’s why I recommended to swap out the entire rear end with a newer than 1965 unit.

-
Back