1958 Dodge

-
Finally found a windshield, $75 with other parts!
Thanks to Steve Magnante's video.

That thing needs a DA sander taken to it so bad, and some either black or grey primer sprayed on it. Hows the exhaust system under it? Put some duals with flowmaster 40s on it.

Definitely needs a sanding, how this happened we'll never know, it looks terrible.
The goal is to strip it, and get it in primer, in 1 color!
Fix the minimal body issues, then shortly after, do a homegrown diy paint job in as close to the original colors as possible.
The end game is to get the trim/emblems/mirrors/etc. back on the car asap to restore it's identity.
Got some cool wheels for it too.

The exhaust, already bought it from Waldron's, who knew it was available? Not me.
We bought the new exhaust when it still had the busted windshield, where have I heard something like that before?

Silver over charcoal grey.
Roof, trunk, and fins are silver, the rest is charcoal grey.
There are paint dividers near the rear side windows, and at the top of the quarter behind the fins to the top tail light.

Same as this car, same trim too.

58 2 tone.jpg

It's interesting seeing the small differences between your '58 and my '57. Mine was originally red/white but was repainted sometime in the early 80's. As far as I can tell, the red was where the blue is now, the white was the same.
This pic is when I bought it, I've now got the original wheels back on with the hard to find Lancer hubcaps.

298098937_10159525913361339_9104318967240344959_n.jpg

Very similar years, from the obvious, tail lights and # of headlights, to not so obvious, 57 dash vents turn, 58 are fixed.

Part of the reason finding a 58 windshield was difficult, 58-59 conv/2&4 hardtop and 57 conv only.

The 2 tone paint schemes were different, as noted already.

Both years had the super cool Lancer emblems one the fins.

The plan is to dive into this car within the next few months.
Someone posted a comment on the youtube that it reminded them of a 50s nascar.

I was surprised when I realized, over time, this comment has sunk deep into my brain.

Found 2 pics today of what I believe is a 57 D-501, hardtop no less, black/silver roof no less even more.

Been thinking on doing an old old school nascar vibe.

This car is not getting a restoration or fancy paint. It is getting the rust fixed and a cheapo homemade paint job, whether that's spray gun or cans.

As close to original as possible, charcoal grey, silver roof/trunk/fins.

And either my crappy Cragar GTs, or my shiny ones pictured below, possibly with spinners.

What say you?

D500 2.jpg

D500 1.jpg

20200930_090617.jpg

The plan is to dive into this car within the next few months.
Someone posted a comment on the youtube that it reminded them of a 50s nascar.

I was surprised when I realized, over time, this comment has sunk deep into my brain.

Found 2 pics today of what I believe is a 57 D-501, hardtop no less, black/silver roof no less even more.

Been thinking on doing an old old school nascar vibe.

This car is not getting a restoration or fancy paint. It is getting the rust fixed and a cheapo homemade paint job, whether that's spray gun or cans.

As close to original as possible, charcoal grey, silver roof/trunk/fins.

And either my crappy Cragar GTs, or my shiny ones pictured below, possibly with spinners.

What say you?

View attachment 1716228208

View attachment 1716228209

View attachment 1716228210
I love your car and direction BUT please buy a $30 HR gun and find a compressor, any compressor!!!

BUT please buy a $30 HR gun and find a compressor, any compressor!!!
I completely agree, and also completely disagree.

I have spray guns and multiple compressors, and I've prepped and painted a few cars.
The painting is the easy part, prepping takes weeks/months.

The guy who took all the trim off, not the po, took a DA sander and destroyed the finish, gouging the metal, slapping bondo on where it doesn't belong, applying multiple colors of primer, scratching windows, etc.

On top of mechanicals, electrical, rust repair, some kind of interior, and everything else, it's going to take a lot to strip it and get it into 1 color of primer.
The brakes alone are not fun, dual wheel cylinders in the front, tapered axle in the rear, it's easier and safer to replace the rear with a later b-body rear and change up the fronts using later Mopar spindles/discs, $$.

The goal is to make it safe and reliable, and cosmetically, at the least, black primer with silver paint and all the trim and emblems back on it!

I keep this pic to inspire me, no where near the same colors, but same 2 tone scheme (there were a few), trim/emblems/mirrors on it, and somewhat Cragars.

Hot Rod 58 Mopar!

58 2 tone.jpg

20221102_162718.jpg

I hate to see people rattle can cars exterior. For obvious reasons.
Best route is either do northing and park it in a garage out of the weather, and not a pole barn with limestone gravel floors. Or best, DA it to bare metlal with 80 gri, 2-3 good coats of good epoxy primer, and seal that with urethane primer. Just what I would do.

-
Back