1960-1962 wagon roof trim removal process

-

slant six

Do More With Less
Reaction score
Hello, what is the proper method / process for removing #s 10, 12, 13 from this illustration......

51832985013_e719efbe81_c.jpg

I want to buff and remove overspray on mine... but don't want to break clips etc in the removal process.

Thanks!

Well.....
You are going to brake some clips.
That molding is attached with special clips and is on pretty tight.
It starts at the pot metal chrome lower bezel with just the arrow on your picture.
That part bolts on from behind the headliner with 2 speed nuts.
Then you carefully remove the trim slowly.
I removed mine years ago and had it polished.
I had some extra clips from a parts car.
I sent my last extra clip to Wayne Miller in CA a month or so ago.
If you can pull the part number from the parts manual you might can find some at
Len Dawson's in Washington.
Here are a couple of pictures to help you.
CIMG3515.JPG
IMG_5723.JPG
IMG_5727.JPG
IMG_5731.JPG
IMG_5734.JPG
IMG_5736.JPG

Well.....
You are going to brake some clips.
That molding is attached with special clips and is on pretty tight.
It starts at the pot metal chrome lower bezel with just the arrow on your picture.
That part bolts on from behind the headliner with 2 speed nuts.
Then you carefully remove the trim slowly.
I removed mine years ago and had it polished.
I had some extra clips from a parts car.
I sent my last extra clip to Wayne Miller in CA a month or so ago.
If you can pull the part number from the parts manual you might can find some at
Len Dawson's in Washington.
Here are a couple of pictures to help you.
View attachment 1715856340 View attachment 1715856351 View attachment 1715856353 View attachment 1715856354 View attachment 1715856355 View attachment 1715856356
Thanks for those pictures Stan,

How do you go about getting the long stainless trim off? It seems attached by the clips to the pinchweld seam. So just slowly pry it off the pinchweld seam?

The process even with the pics seems a bit difficult for me to wrap my head around.

Yes, it all attaches to the pinch weld. If you study the V shaped clips you can see how it grips the pinch weld. Just go slow and may the force be with you! Corny I know but it's old trim.

Alright, thanks!

I will have to look up the part #'s for the clips to see if I can get some spares.. Might hafta Bust out the metal working tools and make a few too

I have a parts manual and attempted to find the part number for the clips but was not able to find one. If you happen to find a supplier please let me know. I could use a couple more.

Couple pictures that may help you.
If you are real careful you can pull the chrome out at the back then slide it upwards off the clip, part way up the window.
IMG_0589.JPG
IMG_0590.JPG

Thanks for your Help, info and tips, Wayne and Stan,

I might hold off on removal as It seems that I can't pull off the die cast medallions without removing part of the headliner behind the rear door and trapezoid window.. If I try to just pull a bit of it apart i am sure all of it will rip and then all of the windows and gaskets / lockstrips will need removed for the headliner to be replaced.

I did clean and lube up all the window and locking mechansims in the tailgate as well as fix and buff some of the stainless trim on the rear window channel.. that was easy stuff!

Thanks!

-
Back