defroster vents

-

Torrance00

Reaction score
Hello All
This is a "how to" for installing defroster vents in s 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger..

My vents are completely destroyed. I bought repo's from Dante's
for about $54 a pair.
To remove and install you will need to remove the clove box for the passenger side
vent.
and remove the instrument cluster from the driver side...
After removing the ducting, the vents are held by 3 speed nuts, that just go on the
plastic nipples that are about 1\4" long. The will come off without a ratchet
they are 3\8. I used a short extension.
installing the new ones is pretty straight forward except that on both sides the
3 plastic nipples did not completely align. and you don't want to force them too much
So you could sand a little plastic off the nipples, or gently try to force one of them over.
BTW it's 2 nipples on one side and 1 on the other.
I don't know if this would go any better if the window was out, since most of the work
in under the dash..
Of course with the windshield out you could enlarge the holes... and see if that helped.
As you can see, they don' t just slip in.
Added today
( I had painted mine, but I decided to sand the barrel a little until it
slipped in.. also there are 2 clips, what they are for i don't know really
unless they work with the ducting...)

Anyway I just thought I'd share this with you..

On the other hand, if you've taken the radio out of your 74 Dart swinger, could you
explain how to.. are there hidden clips or screws
My radio is dead.. would like to change it out..
Best

Last edited:
The repro ones must all be off a bit. Mine did not fit either. I had my dash out so I just enlarged the holes a little.
The radio is easy to get out. Just remove the knobs and the nut behind them. Next unplug the wires and remove the brace on the back. The radio should slide out and down from the back. If you have under dash AC vents they will need to be removed most likely.

Mine didnt fit perfectly either. I had dash out of the car so i filed the holes a bit bigger.

-
Back