1960 Plymouth Valiant Slant Six help!

-

ValiantGuy

Reaction score
I have a 1960 plymouth valiant Slant six with a stock 170ci slant six in it. I also have a 225ci slant six that someone gave to me, I was wondering if the 225 would fit in my valiant?
(As in, does the 170 have the same engine mounts as the 225, and is the block the same size, etc?)

The 225 will bolt right in the 170 is 1" taller or shorter than the 225 (can't remember). All the accessories should interchange , mounts are the same the only thing that would throw a monkey wrench in the plans is if you have a manual tranny. The 66 and earlier crank flange is smaller than the 67 and later so you will need to get a flywheel for a 67 and later (I am dealing with this myself with a 69 D100 that is getting a 66 motor). If you have an auto tranny you will have no worries.

Automatics are affected also. It involves the '67 and earlier small converter pilot hole vs the enlarged '68 and later. Torque converters are not interchangable between the two. There are ways around this though and can easily be made to work with a bushing or risk flexplate damage.

Here are the links to my threads over on .org they might help you out...

http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41029

http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41062

For the pilot bushing I ended up ordering a stock bushing for the 66 dart crank and it worked great. I would have liked to go with the sealed roller bearing but the only way I would have been able to do that would be either have the bearing turned so it fit in the small crank hole or take the crank out of the original motor and put it into the new motor so I wouldn't have to do anything. been along time since I had to deal with any manual tranny stuff so it has been a learning experience for me as well.

Your 225 is 1" taller and will fit fine. Exceptions have been noted as to year of manufacture of the 225. 66 down will bolt right up.
Frank

Luckily! My 225 is a 66 which makes me very happy. I was wondering. Would there be any complications if i wanted to switch my tranny out with a "833" four speed?

Dont know about the 4 speed swap. However there is a good article over at slantsix.org in the articles section.
I do know its possible.
Frank

-
Back