1960 Rambler American?

-

jeeper

Reaction score
I have found an old car that has been sitting for a long time. I am contemplating picking it up for a long-term / low buck project.

I don't know much about them. My guess is that it would be all custom with little to zero aftermarket support.

A couple of easy questions:

Do they have a frame or are they unibody?
Low buck swaps?
Thoughts on them? Opinions?

My guess is that with the weight being low and the car small it could be pretty quick. It would be Mopar powered most likely and just a summer cruiser.

Just thinking out loud here......

Unibody and yes, aftermarket support is near nil, but there is a hardcore group of enthusiasts out there and parts can be located. Just don't tell them there is anything but an AMC under the hood. Kind of like telling them you are swapping a SBC into your Mopar.

My father-in-law has a real solid 64 Rambler American 2 door hardtop. Real cool little car and pretty rare. As GRYZYNX saidthey are unibody parts are nearly impossible to find. Someone had already installed a 350 Chevy in it or I would have put in a small block Mopar. Too much work to do over and it runs decent. The car is light as a feather so even the emenic smog era 350 moves it real good. As far as a drivetrain swap I doubt there's a kit out there to do it. On Pop's they just welded a piece of 2x3 tube under the frame rails and built mounts off of them. I never examined it close but my guess is they must have had a type of K frame that was not attached to the steering like a Mopar is. It just supported the engine.

There is a tan one I've seen in Reynoldsburg, Ohio cruising around during the Mopar Nats. and other events that looks very cool but....it has a small block chebbie in it.

I love the Ramblers. I like straight sixes. Was humming + hawing 'tween the Slant 6 + AMC 232 or 258. Went with the Slant cuz it easier to find parts...not always "easy"...but "easier"...

Don't quote me on this, but I think any swaps you do are gonna have to be complete swaps. It's been way too long, but I believe they used torque tube driveshafts and fun rear diffs with splined hubs like pre-65 B bodies. (Never owned a pre-65 A body, did they do that splined drum thing, too?)

I had a friend that had a Mach 1 and a Rambler American with seats that made into a bed! Guess which one got the most use???

Don't quote me on this, but I think any swaps you do are gonna have to be complete swaps. It's been way too long, but I believe they used torque tube driveshafts and fun rear diffs with splined hubs like pre-65 B bodies. (Never owned a pre-65 A body, did they do that splined drum thing, too?)

wrjjol.jpg

'Xacly

A friend of mine has 3 '64 Ramblers.. a 2 door hard top, a ragtop, and a 4 door sedan. He chose to restore the 4 door sedan.. Doh!

But yes, his bench's fold into a bed as well.

-
Back