1962 lancer help

-

Morepower

Reaction score
Anyone here ever drop a small block in a 62 lancer if yes I would like to talk to you about mounts and exhaust

I dropped a 340 into a 65 A-body wagon, back in 75ish.
It was tight and there was no way to fit exhaust manifolds on it so I went with fenderwell headers. And a 904 push-button.
Your lancer looks a lil tighter between the shock-towers, but that could just be the camera. What I like about the lancer is the semi-circular rear wheel openings; add a lil altitude back there and I can see faaaat tires in there no problem, unlike the later Valiants. If you put a 360 in there, yur gonna need a lotta rubber; 295s or better.

Last edited:
Morepower, I stabbed a 408 LA stroker into my '62 Valiant V-200 more door back in 2003. It's a pretty tight fit, I think because the "early-early" A body ('60-'62) has a narrower engine bay than later models had, but otherwise a fairly easy engine swap. I used Schumacher 225 => LA conversion mounts, but I'm not sure if they are still available. I also used a Schumacher torque strap. I had to get rid of my heater box, and the Schumacher mounts put the distributor right next to the firewall*; however another FABO member did find enough room for a modified heater box, probably using different mounts. I did not find enough room in the engine compartment for the battery, so I relocated it to the trunk. But again, at least one other FABO member did find room for the battery in the engine compartment. (I'd suggest that you search the FABO archives for those threads.) I am using stock exhaust manifolds off an early Duster 340, and I can get you the part numbers if you need them. Due to the narrow engine bay, I don't think there is room for headers (especially if you have Torqueflite push button cables running down the driver's side of the engine) unless you cut the fender wells.

I think you should inquire on this board about the difference in width between the '60-'62 engine bay and that of later models. (Assuming you are using a 904 transmission) there might be room for headers if you used a manual valve body and got rid of the shifter cables. You might have to get a different transmission because the slant 6 and LA engine versions of the A904 have different bell housing bolt patterns.

*That's a feature, not a bug! Michael Schumacher is a racer-type guy, and I think he wanted to move the engine as far back as possible for better handling.

Last edited:
Thank you for info the part number would help me out. Added a 4 speed 8 3/4 disc brakes, if you could get me a picture of the motor mounts that would help me out I have a plasma cutter and welder and I’m pretty good at prefab

I don’t want to start chopping and cutting my car up so I would like to keep it clean in there what about the Z-bar clearance have any thoughts on that would it be easier with the four-speed or automatic I just like moving the lever

I don’t want to start chopping and cutting my car up so I would like to keep it clean in there what about the Z-bar clearance have any thoughts on that would it be easier with the four-speed or automatic I just like moving the lever
hydraulic clutch
Untitled.png

If I go with Hydraulic clutch I need a bell housing for the hydraulic clutch right or can I use my standard bell housing that I have now if so what year of bellhousing well I need and also need a fly wheel so I can always get an 11 inch or I guess 10 1/2 inch I don’t know if it will work or not anybody have any knowledge on this

Does anyone have the part number of the Schumacher motor mounts that I will need at least a picture of them so I can fab my own and some dimensions if possible

What year a bell housing would I have to get to have a hydraulic clutch hook ups if you have a part number that would be helpful plus the other thing I need to know is a picture of the motor mount just being used on the 360 if anybody has one room dimensions on them or something

for the hydraulic clutch, since the slave cylinder replaces the rod that pushes on the clutch fork, you need to fab some kind of mount to hold it in place. you also need to install a master cylinder and peddle. something like THIS. you're going to pretty much make this whole thing up as you go.
you either need mad fab skills, or your going to have them by the time your done :thumbsup:

a 904 and a cable shifter would solve a lot of issues...just sayin'

for the hydraulic clutch, since the slave cylinder replaces the rod that pushes on the clutch fork, you need to fab some kind of mount to hold it in place. you also need to install a master cylinder and peddle. something like THIS. you're going to pretty much make this whole thing up as you go.
you either need mad fab skills, or your going to have them by the time your done :thumbsup:
You got me thinking I have a old ranger that has hydraulic clutch in it maybe I can scab some of them thank you man for helping me out

Morepower, I stabbed a 408 LA stroker into my '62 Valiant V-200 more door back in 2003. It's a pretty tight fit, I think because the "early-early" A body ('60-'62) has a narrower engine bay than later models had, but otherwise a fairly easy engine swap. I used Schumacher 225 => LA conversion mounts, but I'm not sure if they are still available. I also used a Schumacher torque strap. I had to get rid of my heater box, and the Schumacher mounts put the distributor right next to the firewall*; however another FABO member did find enough room for a modified heater box, probably using different mounts. I did not find enough room in the engine compartment for the battery, so I relocated it to the trunk. But again, at least one other FABO member did find room for the battery in the engine compartment. (I'd suggest that you search the FABO archives for those threads.) I am using stock exhaust manifolds off an early Duster 340, and I can get you the part numbers if you need them. Due to the narrow engine bay, I don't think there is room for headers (especially if you have Torqueflite push button cables running down the driver's side of the engine) unless you cut the fender wells.

I think you should inquire on this board about the difference in width between the '60-'62 engine bay and that of later models. (Assuming you are using a 904 transmission) there might be room for headers if you used a manual valve body and got rid of the shifter cables. You might have to get a different transmission because the slant 6 and LA engine versions of the A904 have different bell housing bolt patterns.

*That's a feature, not a bug! Michael Schumacher is a racer-type guy, and I think he wanted to move the engine as far back as possible for better handling.
Can you get me part # for theExhaust manifold for 340 duster that you use in your ride

Going with a manual transmission I seen a 62 diet that had stock manifold on it I think it was from a truck they dumped out in the back by the firewall said he had to grind a quarter inch off of the mating surface to get them to fit

I think I have the exhaust figured out what I need is to figure out what to do with the motor mount

-
Back