1962 lancer- inside handle removal?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
striping the Toad, I need to get the door panels off, therefore the window and door handles in there?? the handles are off the back glass and I see the handles go on a square rod with a grove around it halfway down. I assume a clip that holds it all on, but how will I get to it???? and with what?? thanks for any advice!!

If it's the half round clip like what I think it it, take a very thin piece of rag, slide it under the handle and saw it back and forth. It should catch that clip and pull it off.

not the half round clip which pop off easy this is a square spring steel clip that is a B**** to remove-- but the principle is the same. since you have the rears off look at the stud you should see the groove the clip fits in, I never had much luck with simple removal but did get them removed-- one time i shredded the door panel- due to frustration.

I tried the trim removal tool both cheepos & a quality tool. I had better luck with a large flat bladed screwdriver. Lawrence

not the half round clip which pop off easy this is a square spring steel clip that is a B**** to remove-- but the principle is the same. since you have the rears off look at the stud you should see the groove the clip fits in, I never had much luck with simple removal but did get them removed-- one time i shredded the door panel- due to frustration.

I tried the trim removal tool both cheepos & a quality tool. I had better luck with a large flat bladed screwdriver. Lawrence

Gotta pic of one Lawrence? I've never seen a square clip.

Is the clip like this one?

400728122137_1.jpg

I have only seen these, so if it's different, I'm lost.

If it is that clip, a rag is the best tool for getting them off, IMO. You slide the rag in catch the two tangs and saw it back and forth and they will pop off.

no, it is a square spring steel clip that fits snuggly around the square regulator rod. it also fits tightly in a groove in said rod.
I cannot find any pics---, the clip fits into the back side ofthe handle , it has a double piece of spring steel , that is why they are such a pain-- if you do not hit it exactly it the correct spot the spring steel catches on the square stud, much like a stuck brake drum.

Huh, I guess I've never seen that type. Or I don't remember, that's entirely possible, lol.

60-62 Valiant/Lancer's, changed in 63, some sweptline might have this configuration.

hey Lawrence!! whats up???? I have a pretty decent door panel on right side and left is usable, SOoooooo I don't want to waste them. the panel fits real tight up against the handles. I really need to get them off but I don't want to booger the panels!
if some one has a pic of the clip and the inside of the handle, that would help me.
no one wonder no one messes with 60-62( toads) !!???? ha
BUT , started yesterday and at 2 today I have it all down to bare metal except roof, and hood. combo of aircraft stripper, 80 grit flap, and D A! almost as bad a job as cleaning 100 pounds of mouse poop out of a car!!????? I rather clean the poop!!???

Well didn't mean to send ya on a goose chase, I guess those clips eluded me.

I have had a couple 60's Mopars but never messed with the handles.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/9woAAOSwwTlUrCPX/$_12.JPG

good ole' ebay.

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 167
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/9woAAOSwwTlUrCPX/$_12.JPG

good ole' ebay.[/QUOTn

no worry badsport, I appreciate anyone trying to help.
thanks for the pic Lawrence, maybe run over here and get them off for me!!????? Ha
who the heck invented such a thing. the guy that came out with the 63 up style must have been a GENIOUS!!!!!?????

my solution is to wrap a piece of flat steel in tape, and then push the clip and pull the crank off, have to check top and bottom to get it sometimes

So I think you can see if you get on the correct side of the clip, push it in with a flat tip screwdriver, and pull out on the handle it will come off. If there is a little rust or they haven't moved since 62, they are going to be a *****! I have a KD steel tool that doesn't work very good, but with that picture you can see where to push the clip in! Good Luck!

So I think you can see if you get on the correct side of the clip, push it in with a flat tip screwdriver, and pull out on the handle it will come off. If there is a little rust or they haven't moved since 62, they are going to be a *****! I have a KD steel tool that doesn't work very good, but with that picture you can see where to push the clip in! Good Luck!

just got home from my piddly job, may be tomorrow before I get to try it, thanks for the insight. been a long day!!!!

-
Back