1962: What they were supposed to be

-

4spdcuda66

Reaction score
I found these photos and some text on AllPar regarding the 1962 Dodge and Plymouth down size. I think these are handsome cars and would have sold well if they had been built for the public.

Attachments

• 62 Plymouth wagon.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 289
  • Fury Super Sport.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 280
  • S series cars.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 278
  • 62 DeSoto concept.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 280
Cool pics!!! Really like the 2dr and the vert. Check out those rear wheelwells, just beggin' for a 50s/60s tire :D.

Fasacinating stuff!

I can only imagine how great it must have been to work at a design studio for an American car company in the mid 50s-late 60s...Those cars, despite the fact that they never saw the light of day, are truly rolling works of art!

That Super Sport Coupe would be a classic right now if they made it. Gorgeous.

Isn't it something how Ma Mopar designs some of the coolest cars, but They never made it into production. Looks like they may have been built on the "C" body platform.

I really dig that super sport coupe in the second pic. What a shame it never made it in to production.

Perhaps those horizontal fins were too radical for 1962. My 65 Newport has small "vestigal" vertical fins. The grills have the recessed shape of the 64 Darts. Looks like "over-bite" to me, but a popular style back then and some love it today.

Had it not been for some misinformation the Chrysler executives heard from G.M., those are the designs that would have become the '62 full size line up. It was the lack of a full size Dodge that spawned the 880 model.

Attachments

• 62 880.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 62 880 wagon.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 136
-
Back