1963-1966 Dodge Dart Buyer’s Guide for Restoration

-

djwhog

Reaction score
Here is a pretty good read of a repost from Alpar of the Early A's. :read2:

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/dart-buyers-guide.html

The 1963-1966 Dodge Darts have unique looks and are often overlooked for restoration. Most of the attention the Darts received was during the muscle car era, 1967-69. But these early models shouldn’t be ignored. They’re more regal and sophisticated when compared to the brash muscle years. Since these early Darts share underpinnings with the later cars, chassis parts are ple tiful. When compared to other compacts of the era, they offer a high level of class (especially the GT models). Their size makes them fun to drive and also delivers surprising fuel economy. With minor upgrades, they can handle just as well as a new car. They remain an affordable choice for restoration when looking at 1960s Mopars. ........

So as "unpopular" as the 63's are, should one keep the cars as stock as possible or go ahead and customize them? I am debating swapping out the /6 and auto but I don't know if it would be a good idea for the value of the car. I am not looking for crazy power or high speeds but just something more fun to drive. With all of the modifications needed for just the 63's to add a v8, It may be more worth it to keep the /6 as is. Also would there be any chassis modifications needed to add a manual as far as the z bar mounting?

So as "unpopular" as the 63's are, should one keep the cars as stock as possible or go ahead and customize them? I am debating swapping out the /6 and auto but I don't know if it would be a good idea for the value of the car. I am not looking for crazy power or high speeds but just something more fun to drive. With all of the modifications needed for just the 63's to add a v8, It may be more worth it to keep the /6 as is. Also would there be any chassis modifications needed to add a manual as far as the z bar mounting?

I'd say the value of the car might be increased by modding it a little: keep the slant and add Dutra Duals, a Super Six, a little more compression, and a little bit bigger cam, it'd definitely be more fun to drive without the headaches of shoehorning a V8 in.

Well I got a super six intake and 2bbl carb with the car along with the kickdown lever if its correct. Need to get the gas pedal and cable to do the swap. If anyone has a good picture of this setup, it may help me figure out what I need to do. The 2bbl may give it enough pep for me, don't know until I try it.

the important thing is that you drive it and have fun with it. to that end i would say put in the V-8. these things are still unpopular enough that modding them doesn't kill the value like it would on an original hemi cuda or something like that.
they really are fun little cars when you get some attitude into them.
-Tim

No body that doesnt already have a 63/64 a body should ever buy one Leave them all to ME I love them cause they are one of few overlooked MOPARs left

I'm not sure what the answer to your question is today. But as time goes on and the cars get more and more rare, I've got to think a car with the original drive train will eventually be worth more. If you could bolt in the V-8 while retaining all the original parts that might make sense, but I think you have to modify the firewall to get a v8 into a 63. Besides I think slant sixes are unique and interesting.

wasn't really into the 63 Valiant when I bought it 4 years ago, but it was a clean inexpensive A body that I now drive daily. the looks have grown on me. Mechanically it is all original- wish I had better brakes though.

They're fun cars!

Attachments

• Dike car show 11.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 485
I love my 63 to death, and now that I've decided to put it on the street with a modern hemi, I'm quite sure I'll love it even more when I'm finished. There are a lot of aftermarket parts available for our early A's, we just need to be creative, and get more of them on the road. I toyed with the idea of a 413 stroked, but now I'm going in the direction of a Gen III hemi. I'll get great reliable power with classic styling. With a little imagination, these old A's can become cool and popular.

wasn't really into the 63 Valiant when I bought it 4 years ago, but it was a clean inexpensive A body that I now drive daily. the looks have grown on me. Mechanically it is all original- wish I had better brakes though.

I really don't think that a brake upgrade would hurt its value, unless you want a trailer queen concourse car. I have late Mopar brakes on my 64ragtop, and modern disks on the AZDart. That car was NO fun with the original 9" drums in modern traffic! MUCH better now!
I loved the '63 darts when they came out, drew pictures of 'em in high school art class! Now I own a '63 and 2 '64s. Plans are for a pretty warm /6 for the '63 and fairly hot small blocks for the others. My sig pretty well says it all!

BC

I agree, 63's are fun........

Attachments

• 100_0454.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 418
i am not much for the older owns, i like the 68 to 70, but man when you look at Tincup's Dart man that is just cool and i mean cool

I've always loved the newer A bodies. Since owning a 64 I've found a new love. I think they have more style and are lighter. I still want to build my 68 but can't wait to get the 64 on the road to melt some tires and have some fun!

-
Back