1963 Dart -rod or cable linkage?

-

TAK65

Reaction score
Hi all,

my 1963 Dart 270 Convertible arrived today from USA. I got a bit puzzled; I thought all the 63-66 Darts had rod throttle linkage. However, mine has cable set-up that looks stock. It's a 225 with automatic car.
My 1964 Valiant (170+3 spd) has the rod linkage.

Please, shed some light here...

Tina

I think if car was air conditioned, it used a cable. I might be wrong.:burnout:MT

if i'm not totally mistaken, all 63 darts were oem slant rod linkage cars. pretty common deal for someone to change it over to a cable deal. maybe taken from v8 65 a body or simply a cable throttle set up from some later year . ????

FABO member slantsixdan will have the answer to that. I think with the bigger slant, 225, not sure which one used what.

First year for the cable was the 64 V8. Slants got the rotating Rod linkage. In 65 V8's AND slants with factory AC (not the dealer add-on knee knocker) used the cable style. Slants without factory AC got the rotating rod. The reason slants with factory AC got the cable was due to interference with the under dash part of the AC unit. Those slants that had the dealer installed AC still had the Rod style. In 66 a lot of slants without factory AC got the cable style; it didn't always hold true as I've parted out a slant 66 Barracuda with the rotating rod

Not on a '63. The first year cable-operated throttle provisions were present on the firewall was '64. Pre-'67 cable-throttle parts are pretty scarce, and you're looking at drilling holes whatever you use. Easiest path forward is to pick up a '67+ A-body accelerator pedal assembly and mount that up.

From the slant six forum, Quoted by SlantSixDan

First year for the cable was the 64 V8. Slants got the rotating Rod linkage. In 65 V8's AND slants with factory AC (not the dealer add-on knee knocker) used the cable style. Slants without factory AC got the rotating rod. The reason slants with factory AC got the cable was due to interference with the under dash part of the AC unit. Those slants that had the dealer installed AC still had the Rod style. In 66 a lot of slants without factory AC got the cable style; it didn't always hold true as I've parted out a slant 66 Barracuda with the rotating rod

That's all exactly right.

All '63 Darts came from the factory with rotating-rod type throttle linkage.

Thank you everybody. This forum is a goldmine :)

So it seems the cable brackets and stuff were probably from a later car. Makes sense as the carb is different from the one on my Valiant.

Will take a pic later today and upload, perhaps someone will be able to identify that.

Have a nice weekend!

Tina

Here's a pic of the carb and linkage, could it be the Super Six setup or custom/home-made?

Attachments

• Dart 001.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 127
The throttle linkage looks like it's for a Super Six (2 barrel carb). The intake looks like it has a block off plate for the EGR (again super six). Take you air cleaner off - does it have 2 barrels or 1? If 2 you have scored!

EDIT: from what I can tell from the little screen on my phone, that's what it looks like!

2nd EDIT: Am on my home computer with a large screen. If it's a Super Six something doesn't look right with the throttle linkage. I think the Super Six linkage is mounted on the side

That's a custom throttle and kickdown cable setup—looks pretty nicely done—with a Carter BBD carb mounted perpendicular as on the factory 2bbl intakes, with an EGR blockoff plate installed. This looks like a 1-piece cast aluminum intake, but I can't see clearly enough to tell if it's the Mopar Performance item (says "MOPAR" on the front runner) or a modified 1bbl intake, or a nicely-painted cast iron intake.

That's a custom throttle and kickdown cable setup—looks pretty nicely done—with a Carter BBD carb mounted perpendicular as on the factory 2bbl intakes, with an EGR blockoff plate installed. This looks like a 1-piece cast aluminum intake, but I can't see clearly enough to tell if it's the Mopar Performance item (says "MOPAR" on the front runner) or a modified 1bbl intake, or a nicely-painted cast iron intake.

I thought it was aluminum too but my master mechanic said it is cast iron. Also the exhaust manifold looks alike so whatever the coating is, it's well done.

-
Back