1964 A body 4 speed bellhousing question.

-

valiantwagonguy

Reaction score
I have a 64 bell #2463027 for a 6 cyl 4 speed.I also have the 65 version of this in use in my 65 wagon.When I put it in the wagon I compared the two bells side by side and saw the mounting holes for the ball stud bracket for the Z bar are in different locations and the 65 bracket won't work because it will be too far towards the rear of the car and mis align the z bar if it will even mount at all. Does anyone have a photo of a 64 bracket mounted on the bell and also off the bell . I want to make one that will work (or buy one) so I can use this bell in the 65 A body.It seems there are way more of the earlier ones out there than the 65 one year only one # 2468433

If you have the proper bell as well, why can't you measure the location and fab a bracket from there? That is, what difference does it make if the ball ends up in the same location?

I can do that but I want to see what the actual part looks like before I start or buy one to use as a pattern. Seems like this is a much more common bell . Measuring it from the bell that is in use is difficult.It would be way easier to do with either the part as a pattern or the both bells on the bench. I guess I could use a 273 bell to compare seeing as the ball stud mount for it is the same as the 65 six and 66 six

Check on slantsix.org.

There is an article there on 4 speeds relating to /6 setups. It's been awhile since I've read it so I don't want to mis-speak.

Just checked and cut and pasted the following:

Slant Six owners have two bell housing options to mate G/RG blocks to 833s. The original 1964-66 Slant Six four speed bell housing is a great candidate and accepts any A-833 with a 4.35" IBR profile. These units were all cast iron. While these bell housings are becoming increasingly hard to come by, the inspection plate, dust shield, clutch fork, and fork boot can all be swapped-over from a Sixties G/RG with an A-903 three speed. The casting numbers for the early cast iron bell housings are 2463025, 2463027, and 2468431.

Last edited:
-
Back