1964 Barracuda video Back Glass breaking!

-

65Cuda273

Vintage Proud Member
Reaction score
Check out this video, I have always wondered if this has ever happen to anyone. If the video link doesn't work just google; Dessert Car Kings; video's; 1964 barracuda. They also show a video of the 1964 Barracuda being sold at an Auction.

:http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/desert-c...

Desert Car Kings: Barracuda Auction : Video : Discovery Channel
dsc.discovery.com

They are full of you know what calling that a $2K screw up. If those back glasses sold for that kind of money, you would see even more of them on ebay. Too bad they usually don't even sell for $100. I used to cart one aournd to MOPAR shows. I carted it around for 5 years and ended up taking $20 for it because I was about to the point of breaking it just so I wouldn't have to cart it around any more. They arent worth anything until you have a need for one and it's rare to see one broken. I wouldn't be suprised if that was staged just to add some excitement to the show.

yeah I'm with brad, I saw one on here sell to a member for like $100 or something.

I also saw another member trying to sell the glass and noone needing it. He ended up having it for sale for a couple months before he finally got rid of it lol.

Thats the kind of crap that pisses me off. Some moron on a show talks out of his a$$ and next thing you know everyone with that glass is asking 10 times what its worth. Just like watching Barret Jerkoff.

I am getting leary of this show. They overhype the build and then either break even or lose money. Not to mention they don't spend hardly any time showing the actual build. Street Customs and Overhaulin is more entertaining.

They are full of you know what calling that a $2K screw up. If those back glasses sold for that kind of money, you would see even more of them on ebay. Too bad they usually don't even sell for $100. I used to cart one aournd to MOPAR shows. I carted it around for 5 years and ended up taking $20 for it because I was about to the point of breaking it just so I wouldn't have to cart it around any more. They arent worth anything until you have a need for one and it's rare to see one broken. I wouldn't be suprised if that was staged just to add some excitement to the show.

I agree 100%. Since I had one that was 2 years old, people have always commented how expensive that back glass must be.

I caught that episode last night, it was kind of fun. Changing a starter was really a big deal for that crew. :mrgreen:

I caught that show last night for the first time....those guys are jokes. I wouldn't want any thing they built. I'd sure take there "before" cars.....but for sure nothing they shot some paint on for a quick sale.

When my Barracuda got delifered from New Mexico, there was a spare rear window(in really nice shape) inside. I took it out, and moved it from the garage to near my basement door, with plans of storing it in my basement. The ground outside my basement door is just 2b limestone, so I set the window on end, and was going to go into the basement and open the door(cannot get it open from the outside), I made sure the glass was secure and wasn't going to fall, and I turned to head into the house, and the rear window just exploded, It didn' start to fall or anything, just exploded. I took me over 2 hrs to get 99.5% of the glass cleaned up out of the gravel. I still find pieces.

FF

They can't even pick a decent derby car! Hello, Imperial! Theat 73 chevy is a terrible derby car without a bumper swap.

I was talking to Nigel (Mills) up at National Moparts on the weekend . I was up there looking for interior stuff with my friend mikes270Dart. They are restoring a 66 Barracuda so this topic came up about the rear glass. Nigel told me he dropped a sledge hammer on one by accident and it did not brake,,I believe him , they are almost indestructible.

Yeap, I agree, I think breaking the back glass was a set-up for a better story, better TV rating... they need to do something else with all that talent? Maybe not restore cars and become movie stars. :toothy1: I do have a extra glass I am tried of moving around the garage. Lol

I used to work at the Detroit McGraw glass plant that made those backlites, sidelites and windshields for a lot of the mopars that we now try to save.. Gah!! I had to load them as they came off the furnace onto a carrosel tobe washed and quality checked, than packed for shipment , I hated that glass. we used to throw ice cube's down the line to get a short break (yup they blow up nice when they are hot.) any way you can do almost anything to that backlite after it has been qeunched EXCEPT put a pressure point on the edge, ie.. rock or center punch ect. we had to tape up and break one with acenter punch on the edge the glass to check the break pattern for saftey checks once an hour , man did that eat up tape. During a show and tell for the higher ups we took one and laid it on the floor just like it would go in a car and one of the guys (300 plus pounds) jumped on it. man you should have seen the mucky mucks scatter, it was great. glass went almost flat to the floor and bounced that guy about 8 foot away (we scattered then.) but the glass didn't break. we initialed it and later found out that it went into a supervisors car how's that for tough
if ya want to make sure not to break a quenched piece of glass lay it flat OR use that split pipe wrap on the bottom edge, if it's saftey laminated glass from the front windshield all bets are off . those things break just looking at em

Those of you have some spare glass laying around and need a quick buck give these guys a call. Apparently, they're willing to buy at any price! :mrgreen:

WHY??? would you buy one from Layson's for $850.00??? When all you have to do is ask me if I will sell one of mine. Sleep good, your in good hands... lol
well how much would u take for one and some one e mail them and ask what they would take for a back glass if they give out a number of 2000 bucks send them a link the the new one for 850 and show the bleeps what we all now think of them

Staged and phony! Did you check out the shattered remnants on the floor that were supposed to be the broken back glass?

well how much would u take for one and some one e mail them and ask what they would take for a back glass if they give out a number of 2000 bucks send them a link the the new one for 850 and show the bleeps what we all now think of them

•I have a perfect back glass I will sell you for a $100.00 you pay shipping/handling. Pm if you are interested. Thx

-
Back