1964 Dart 270 - From the ground up, kinda

-

punkskunk

Reaction score
Howdy y'all.

New guy here, just purchases a 1964 Dart 270 with the /6 yesterday. Will post photos of course later today. Paid 2k out the door, was able to drive the car home an hour, needs a bit of trans work.

Anyways, before I get too far ahead of myself, this is my first build, just retired from the Army, thought I'd build a Dart, and I finally found one. That being said, 64 parts are well, hard to find to my novice eye.

Plan for the Dart is to put a 318 in it, but we will see.

Anyone have leads on where to find a hood and tail lights (i know.) It has the assembly, just need the new lens with the 2 rings.

Anyways, any tips and tricks would be appreciated, thank y'all in advance.

Question, and I may sound insane, has anyone have turbo/twin-turbo one of these /6? I think it still may be cheaper to do the the V8 swap, just wondering.

There are many turbo slants running around. That's a good way to make the little bugger stand up and sing. A search of the slant forum will get you started.

Also, check out slantsix.org. it is a wealth of knowledge and some turbo slant gurus hang out there.

Welcome and retired from military; thank you for your service. What was your MOS? If the 64 is a runner driver with the 6 I’d recommend driving it as is and accumulate as much parts for your turbo or V8 swap. It always takes forever and thousands more than anticipated. Dustin

It's a runner, just need to replace the battery as it needs a jump each time right now. Parts seem to be.. hard to say the least to find.

My MOS was 25S. Retired at E5 due to medical.

It's a runner, just need to replace the battery as it needs a jump each time right now. Parts seem to be.. hard to say the least to find.

My MOS was 25S. Retired at E5 due to medical.
Yeah parts are hard to find for each year of Dart is alittle different. Nice my grandfather was a 25L in Korean War. I was a 13F for 5 years. Wanted ads on here can find nice stuff also.

Last edited:
Awesome, 13F is no joke of a job. Once I come up with a list of all parts needed I'll definitely be utilizing the wanted ad section. There are buckets of parts in the trunk, some aren't even for this car, need to go through and see whats what.

Question for all of you.. My Dart has a Slant Six, 904 push button trans. My goal (ideally) is to swap the 6 and put in a 318. That being said, my 904 will not bolt to the 318. I want to keep the juke box tranny style, what are my options? I'm new to building cars, and certainly to a 64 Dart. Would I simply be able to swap in a 904 for a small block and plug and play? Would a 727 work? Any advice would help.

Howdy y'all.

New guy here, just purchases a 1964 Dart 270 with the /6 yesterday. Will post photos of course later today. Paid 2k out the door, was able to drive the car home an hour, needs a bit of trans work.

Anyways, before I get too far ahead of myself, this is my first build, just retired from the Army, thought I'd build a Dart, and I finally found one. That being said, 64 parts are well, hard to find to my novice eye.

Plan for the Dart is to put a 318 in it, but we will see.

Anyone have leads on where to find a hood and tail lights (i know.) It has the assembly, just need the new lens with the 2 rings.

Anyways, any tips and tricks would be appreciated,
thank y'all in advance.

Congrats! Did this project ever come to be? Pics?

-
Back