1964 Dart Bulkhead Connector

-

Jim Kueneman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a '64 Dart that can get a good photo of the bulkhead connector under the hood? I am trying to decide if I can use '64 harnesses in my '63 since M&H makes them for the '64 (V8 only but stretching wires with a soldering iron and shrink tubing is easy).

Thanks,
Jim

Does anyone have a '64 Dart that can get a good photo of the bulkhead connector under the hood? I am trying to decide if I can use '64 harnesses in my '63 since M&H makes them for the '64 (V8 only but stretching wires with a soldering iron and shrink tubing is easy).

Thanks,
Jim
I have a 64 vert project with a /6. I can get pictures in the morning if that works. What do you need pictures of ?

I have a 64 vert project with a /6. I can get pictures in the morning if that works. What do you need pictures of ?

That would be perfect. Just a few photos of both sides of the connectors if you can. The diagrams clearly show they moved the wires around in the connector but I am interested if the basically design is the same. There are 2 terminal screws in the middle of it for the ammeter wires in the '63 and then a connector above and a different style connector below. Much different than the later 3 connectors that look almost the same, just keyed different.

That would be perfect. Just a few photos of both sides of the connectors if you can. The diagrams clearly show they moved the wires around in the connector but I am interested if the basically design is the same. There are 2 terminal screws in the middle of it for the ammeter wires in the '63 and then a connector above and a different style connector below. Much different than the later 3 connectors that look almost the same, just keyed different.

Here is a picture of the firewall and connector.
Tomorrow I can take it loose from it and get pictures of both sides of it from this side. Do you need under the dash? That might be a little bit challenging. It is still together at this time.

20180225_143114.jpg

If it is together then no on the inside, yes if you can disconnect and get closer photos I would appreciate it greatly! Thanks!

If you can, get a 1965 Bulkhead connector. I put one in my 1964 Valiant. The reason is that it has 2 large buss-bar feed-thrus for the thick ALT and BAT wires, which avoids the common "melted bulkhead" problem. It is ~1/8" taller so had to slightly trim the firewall hole, but you might be doing that anyway coming from a 1963. BTW, 1963 also had the buss-bars. My guess is they noticed a problem w/ melted terminals in 1964's so brought it back in 1965 (albeit with 2 larger connectors). Perhaps a bean-counter nix'ed that so they went back to running thru Packard terminals, which caused endless problems. Re the wiring, the 1965 FSM shows that (search). In 1966, they moved the wiper motor into the engine bay, which required a 3rd connector on the bulkhead.

If you can, get a 1965 Bulkhead connector. I put one in my 1964 Valiant. The reason is that it has 2 large buss-bar feed-thrus for the thick ALT and BAT wires, which avoids the common "melted bulkhead" problem. It is ~1/8" taller so had to slightly trim the firewall hole, but you might be doing that anyway coming from a 1963. BTW, 1963 also had the buss-bars. My guess is they noticed a problem w/ melted terminals in 1964's so brought it back in 1965 (albeit with 2 larger connectors). Perhaps a bean-counter nix'ed that so they went back to running thru Packard terminals, which caused endless problems. Re the wiring, the 1965 FSM shows that (search). In 1966, they moved the wiper motor into the engine bay, which required a 3rd connector on the bulkhead.

Any idea how close the rest of the Under hood connectors are between 63 and 65?

65 harnesses all in stock.... of course they are 20% more expensive than the '64!

If it is together then no on the inside, yes if you can disconnect and get closer photos I would appreciate it greatly! Thanks!
Jim here's the pics of the 64 dart bulkhead and a picture of a 65 Signet/Dart bulkhead. I also looked at a 63 dart I have. The 63 and 65 have the center connections like mentioned but the 64 does not.
Hopefully this helps.
20190811_112334.jpg
20190811_112449.jpg

20190811_112926.jpg

-
Back