1964 Dart GT - Bought it because my wife likes it.

-
As for rare I've got a 3 pedal automatic in my van also.

Started life as a 360/727 changed to 833 4sp then to 318/A500.:toothy10:

Very cool van! What kind of MPG are you getting with the OD trans now? I will replace my F*rd van someday, but probably with something that's a diesel. It was free and it's been reliable as a rock so it's hard to get rid of it just because it's slow and rusty. 8)

Also, I've heard about the ClutchFlites before, like in mid-late 40's Mopars. Pretty neat old stuff.

Double post, but I wanted this to be in my "resto" section as well.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=133275

Forget expensive crappy plastic aftermarket clips that you have to file down with a Dremel tool to make work... That's what I *was* doing until I thought, "F*** this!!! There has to be a better way!"

I bought a pack of 100 of these from McMaster-Carr for $6.95
www.mcmaster.com part number: 91010A110

If you decide to go this route, be sure to measure the diameter of your trim holes and count them all before ordering!!! I actually needed more than 100 to fill ALL the holes but decided that skipping a few wouldn't hurt anything.

The holes in the top vs. bottom strips of trim on my car were slightly different, with the top ones being larger. However I took the gamble and although the top trim is a little looser than the bottom trim, I don't think that it is going to fall off. If it does, I'll let you know. :toothy10:

5466887202_e921db2317_z.jpg

5466292231_8cde743f1a_z.jpg

5466888144_ca857b90c6_z.jpg

5466294851_383dc1f8fd_z.jpg

She's a-comin' along!!! :cheers:

I buy a ton of stuff from McMaster-carr, they have everything!

After installing the adapter bushing for the torque converter to '67-up engine, and tuning up the engine yesterday, I FINALLY got the car running well enough to feel good about taking it out! :sunny::hello1:

My wife and I drove it around the block and it all felt good so I took it on its first trip out of my neighborhood! We went on a 10 or so mile round trip with no problems to Lowe's this morning.
5483301376_f73ace6e77_z.jpg

I am delaying the 4-speed installation until I get more of this car dialed in, like GOOD BRAKES, getting the trim and interior and windows all fixed up properly and overall making sure that the engine is in good working order. It will need new exhaust gaskets, at least the doughnut because I definitely have a leak somewhere...

The 6 isn't a speed demon but it's not as bad as I imagined it being. Having your car run properly makes a big difference. :toothy10:

I'd missed this thread until you posted on the drydock. Very cool "little" car ;)

Before this thread laps to page two and I start tackling more of the issues the car has, I'll appease your appetite for more pics. :happy10:

Here it is waiting for the tow truck in the rain on Jan 2-2011.
5334151953_817b2fd868_z.jpg

Here it is at home next to my C-body!
5334768270_5ca2ea8cd6_z.jpg

From the other (slab)side: (Yeah the C-body needs work too but the TNT440 runs great!)
5334768698_ea09080bc7_z.jpg

Another reason I bought it: Mostly well done interior, just needs finished up and a few things that I don't like cleaned up.
5334153535_52d0eb3839_z.jpg

Things I don't like: The dash pad is not original. It's just a straight-across padded and re-covered in red vinyl thing. The metal part up to the window also has a vinyl insert glued to the top so the speaker and defrost vents are totally covered, and that's lame.

The armrests look like cheapo repops, if such a thing exists. I saw some in a junkyard '66 Barracuda that I might pick up and repair. The steering wheel is covered in white vinyl but unfinished so it looks bad if you look closely at it. This is all IMHO of course.

But, the car is a great base since the body and paint are overall an 8/10 and that's good enough for me. The chrome is beautiful having been all redone, and it came with a bunch of spare parts. Car guys love spare parts. :cheers:

The plan for the car is going to be a nice driver that can be taken anywhere anytime; on long trips, date nights with the wife, to the grocery store, etc. If the paint gets dinged up a bit, oh well. We're going to USE this car!

WOW!!!:love7:

SAAAHHHWEEEEEEET!:cheers:

I really like the 64 Darts. My fist car was a 64 GT, Blue, 273, 2brl, 4 spd, single exh. Used more oil than gas but that just added to its "character".

Thanks, all!

No pics today but this is what I got done:

Visited the local pick-a-part where there's a picked-over '65 Dart and got:
- spare windshield
- speedometer cable since mine was broken
- speedometer cable hold-down bracket at the transmission since mine was missing
- e-brake handle since mine was broken
- stock steering wheel which I plan to recondition and use, I hope.

I lubed up and installed the speedometer cable and hooked it to a speedometer that SlantSixDan sold me and it works great! :notworth:

Got the e-brake handle installed and buttoned up the under-dash A/C unit so my dashboard is almost completely put back together. I hooked up the electrical for the A/C and the clutch on the compressor works but the air is not cold. Maybe one of those R134 "conversion" refill bottles from the auto parts store will do the trick. It worked quite well on my wife's car and her sister's car...

So for the first time, we took it out to dinner to celebrate. The car chugged some gasoline and we had Teriyaki Chicken. And beer. :drinkers:

Also confirmed that none of my dash lights work. :tongue5:

The rest of the weekend will be more small stuff, like re-packing the wheel bearings and using the car for all of my errands. It's gonna make the trek to work next week if all goes well! :thumblef:

I really like the 64 Darts. My fist car was a 64 GT, Blue, 273, 2brl, 4 spd, single exh. Used more oil than gas but that just added to its "character".

My first A-body was almost that same car, but in red. I wish I hadn't sold that car since it was an original one but now I am building another that is a MUCH better starting point. :cheers:

I'm just going to modify it anyway, so why mess up an original 273/4-speed one, right? I think I'll be quite happy with the Slant 6 for a while, but I have just about everything to put a V8 in it already. Just missing the V8. :toothy6:

I noticed when you took her out to dinner you mentioned the dash lights don't work. If memory serves me, and this thought might even be from a Brand X car memory, I'd check to see if your tail lights are working at all . . . . If my car blew the fuse for the dash lights the tails didn't work either = both rear running lights and plate light, the brake lights are on a different circuit though so at least they worked. If it's the fuse and they work in conjunction with the dash lights GREAT! If the fuse blows again, not so great, but at least you'll know what circuit to go after. If this is the case I'd suspect one of the wires in the trunk got nicked by something that (god knows when) was "floating" around - and the wire insulation is probably worn through shorting against the body. If not you may have to remove the tail light assys and inspect for a short between the ground/power ends. Hope this helps.

Need more pictures ! ! ! Loving it!

I haven't gotten around to diagnosing the dash lights but all of the rest of them work.

The latest project on the car has been to upgrade to disk brakes! :cheers:

I got some SBP disks from a member here, I did all the hard lines last weekend, and all that I have left to do is mount the calipers and bleed the system and see if it works! :glasses9:

This is the only pic that I've taken so far.... will take more when the rotors and calipers are on. Unfortunately it'll have to wait a bit... my week and weekend are packed.

5682311030_939ea9a8cd_z.jpg

Hopefully the manual disk m/c and everything will work ok with not too much effort. If the brakes are hard to use, I'll have to do something about it.

It's a georgeous little car......do you think you could possibly post even one GOOD picture of it? lol

Brakes are 99% done! While trying to bleed the brakes yesterday, I broke both bleeder screws on the rears and one drum adjusting lever. Unfortunately I couldn't get an adjusting lever until next Tuesday since it had to be special ordered from every parts store I called. On the short test drive that I took before proper bleeding took place, the disks seemed to work pretty well.

It's going to be awesome to have a car that stops without shuddering from oval shaped drums and that doesn't squeak while driving also- probably from the drums being oval shaped.

5743960506_1898ef913b_z.jpg

I promise to take a good picture or two when the car is drivable again. 8-)

-
Back