1964 Dart outside mirror locations

-

Doug.S

1964 Dart More Door
Reaction score
Getting ready to mount my driver and passenger outside mirrors. I have no templates and the car doesn't currently have either mirror. I tried holding the mirror foward of the 1/4 window and it works. I have held it parallel to the chrome 1/4 window rear vertical post and it too works. Both places allow me to see behind me and allow the 1/4 window open. However the forward mounting location "looks" more appropriate. Anyone have a 1964 Dart or Valiant and have pics available of where the factory would have mounted these outside mirrors?

I have included a pic in this thread of an NOS outside mirror. In the background of the pic you will notice instructions as to mirror location and drilling for screws. That would be the form I would love to get a better copy of for reference. I DO NOT have this document, it is a pic from FABO that I found while searching this topic.

Thank you,
Doug

mirror location....jpeg

If you have a location for a drivers mirror... cant you just duplicate that one on to the passenger door?

If you have a location for a drivers mirror... cant you just duplicate that one on to the passenger door?
I have several different early A doors. It seems they are mounted in different areas. Some may be where a mirror was
installed after the car was sold. Some seem to be mounted in line with the vertical vent frame. The pic is a 63 Valiant
with a twin post mirror. Location could be factory. It is correct vintage mirror with no other mounting holes to be seen.

DSCN0436.JPG

I have several different early A doors. It seems they are mounted in different areas. Some may be where a mirror was
installed after the car was sold. Some seem to be mounted in line with the vertical vent frame. The pic is a 63 Valiant
with a twin post mirror. Location could be factory. It is correct vintage mirror with no other mounting holes to be seen.

View attachment 1715241781
Thank you, Lee.

That spot "looks" the most appropriate. That measurement is what I will use to mount these mirrors.

Interestingly, from a functional standpoint, it seems easier to see when the mirror is mounted further back. Easier to glance out the big window to see and not the 1/4 window. But I want it to look as good as it can.

So, thank you again. I truly appreciate it.

Doug

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't have a location until Lee sent me a pic. And I have read that if you duplicate the position on the passenger side mirror, you end up with a bad line of site and a non-functional passenger side mirror.

Doug

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't have a location until Lee sent me a pic. And I have read that if you duplicate the position on the passenger side mirror, you end up with a bad line of site and a non-functional passenger side mirror.

Doug

Ahhh! Good to know. I’m doing the same after a fresh paint job so lucky for my I did not drill yet. I also assume line of site is effected by height of driver. Further the seat is back the further the mirror needs.
Good point. Thanks!

You have to be able to see around the 1/4 glass pillar so the mirrors on each side will not be in the same position. So place them where you can easily see through when seated in your normal driving position. There is no real right or wrong placement imho, just what works best for your vision.

You have to be able to see around the 1/4 glass pillar so the mirrors on each side will not be in the same position. So place them where you can easily see through when seated in your normal driving position. There is no real right or wrong placement imho, just what works best for your vision.

Good point. That is what I'm going to do.

For anyone reading this thread, don't forget to have someone hold the mirrors in position for line of sight and make sure the 1/4 windows still open! If your location is off by just a bit and you drill, you may have a big body work problem on your hand.

-
Back