1964 dart variable wiper switch won't stop!

-

jysnflem

Reaction score
Last year the variable wiper switch on my Dart wouldn't shut off the wipers. The manual says that it's a bad switch so last year I bought a NOS one. I changed it out and it still won't shut them off. I had a spare motor hooked it up same problem??? Does anyone have any ideas?? Jysnflem

DSC_8374.jpg

Did you change just the motor or motor and trans? There are contacts in there that set it to park in the trans area, this spot might be worn or just maybe dirty.

Ahhh the motor switch in the wiper motor. The the manual said replace or fix motor switch I thought it meant switch in dash duh. Thanks for the info.Jysnflem

Yeah the park switch on the gearbox is probably the problem but that switch relies on a well grounded switch in the dash also. If the dash switch is not installed and grounded properly the motor wont stop. Good luck.

A couple of years ago I had my harness out and I removed my heater blower and harness. When I removed the wires from the wiper switch in the dash I labeled the switch where the single wires plugged in blue here and black, pink, white. Except for the yellow and red wires which were together in a separate pigtail wiring harness from the other wiring harness. Well I was throwing out the wires from the blower for the heat I must have tossed the yellow and red pigtail harness. I wired the car back in the spring using my labels and every wire had a place and I must have firgured the extra 2 male connectors in the wiper switch were for some other option I did not have. The blue and black wire will allow you to turn the motor on but the yellow and red wires that were missing reverse the motor to park it. It had been like this for a while and being the car never saw any rain it was a couple of years before I found out the wiper motor wouldn't park. When I was swapping wiper motors out trying to figure what was bad I noticed the two pigtails on the wiper motor and I assumed one set was for single speed and the other variable wiper setup. I did a bench test on the motor per the manual instructions and it had me using those two connectors to reverse the direction of the motor. That's when I figured it out what was missing

milan1.jpg

-
Back