1964 Dodge Dart replace steering column seal

-

Greg D.

Reaction score
IMG_0985.JPG
Greetings!
My recently acquired 1964 Dart GT doesn't have the steering column seal. (It has a piece of it). I'm getting too much engine fumes and smell in the cabin of the car.

I have a new seal. I started by loosening the clamp at the steering box, then pulled the top off the steering coupler.

Before I go any further... has anyone done this? What's involved? Any advice? Do I need to pull the whole column out?

I do have a rebuild kit for the steering coupler.

Thank you
Greg

I pulled the column on my 66. The new seal really helped.

Here's an easy way to make an effective seal that's cheap and easy to install. Get a torsion bar dust boot, the original/rubber type. Cut it down 1 side so you can fit it over the steering shaft.. The small part of the dust boot is the perfect diameter to go around the steering shaft. The large part of the dust boot is perfect for going around, or against, the steering column tube. You can secure the dust boot to the steering shaft with a zip tie, hose clamp, or other device.

In addition, if needed, along the side that you cut to fit over the steering shaft, once fitted you can use some RTV or similar adhesive along the cut to close it.

IMG_0999.JPG

So what's going to happen when I pull these three bolts? Do they thread into the firewall?

View attachment 1714972504
So what's going to happen when I pull these three bolts? Do they thread into the firewall?
Yes they thread into the firewall when you loosen them up make sure to loosen them up then tighten them up again. Do the same for all 3 because mine were rusted pretty bad and I ended up breaking where the screws bolt into on the other side of the firewall in the engine bay.. Mine needed to be welded on but I lost the two pieces. A lesson well learned.
Now I need to find me a square nut that will take bolts big enough to secure them and the column seal in place, then tac weld them in.

-
Back