1964 Plymouth Valiant convertible top frame

-

Velvet64

Reaction score
I have a 1964 valiant convertible with a manual top. I want to convert it to a power top. Can I simply add a pump and cylinders or do I need the complete power top assembly. If so, are 1963-1966 tops identical? Thanks for any information that you can provide.

Hi Velvet!

Just add the cylinders, motor, wiring and the switch on the dash and you are ready! Good luck!

When I was looking at converting to a power top, one showed up on ebay, and i had the guy send me pics of the frame where it attaches to the lift cylinders and it was abit different then my manual top frame. Have you already did this swap before 65dartcharger? Just curious

I just walked out to the garage and looked at one of each. They are different, manual to power. The power top has a piece that goes to the rear to hook the cylinders to, while the manual top piece goes forward and has the spring hook. I'll try to get you some pictures. You'll also have to weld in brackets for the bottom of the cylinders.

I thought so as well. I enlarged some pictures of a car on ebay and compared it to my car. The tops are definitely different. I removed my rear trim and seat and also noticed that there is no mount for the cylinders. GTGrinly, you are exactly right. Someone has agreed to sell me a complete power top assembly for $250.00. It is from a '66 valiant. Will that fit, and is that a reasonable price? Thanks for sharing you knowledge!

There is no reason why it shouldn't fit since they are the same platform. I would say $250 for a complete assy is a good price. I've seen them go on ebay for 175 - 200 just for the rails, more for the motor, cylinders and switch. Where the motor mounts is different then your manual top car. The motor mounts on a bracket you don't have. If you can have the guy cut the cross piece out with the motor attatched and you'll get what you need. Floor brackets for the cyl's will be easy to fab if you don't get those. Good luck, I'm doing the same conversion....I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't jack the top into my garage roof and bend it...dumb accident...oh well....good luck with yours.

Thanks for your feedback. I would not care, except that the springs on the manual top has it ride up a little, even with it all the way down. There's nothing so pretty like a 64-65 with the power top buried and the boot cover on. Soo, Soo smooth...gotta have that look!

Thanks for your feedback. I would not care, except that the springs on the manual top has it ride up a little, even with it all the way down. There's nothing so pretty like a 64-65 with the power top buried and the boot cover on. Soo, Soo smooth...gotta have that look!

I might be interested in taking the manual top off your hands if you do the conversion. I have a power top (that currently doesn't work, but I haven't taken the time to figure out why yet) and I am looking so save some weight by going to a manual top.

If you are getting everything you need for $250 then I think that's a great deal, just make sure you get everything you need like wiring , brackets ... Just everything.

-
Back