1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

-
Rear Main?
Pan Gasket ??
Good old slant 6 oil send unit ??????
I boogered up the pan gasket when I swapped on the early A pan. I cannot STAND oil leaks. Surprisingly, it has none anywhere else. I'm gonna inspect the bearings like I said and I will replace them more than likely.

Here it is, back out again! lol
DSCF1648.JPG

Got the pan off and I ain't touchin that bottom end. It's beautiful as it was when I pulled the pan off the first time. I eyeballed the camshaft wear pattern and it is absolutely beautiful! I'm even going to clean it all up and use the same pan gasket, since it came off in one piece. Here is where I made my mistake. You can see the front rubber end piece where it transitions from the timing cover to the pan rail on the block. I "should have" gotten a dab of RTV under that transition, between the rubber end piece, the timing cover and the pan rail on the block and going "a little" onto the cork gasket. "SOMEHOW" I neglected to do that and that's right where the leak was. See picture. Rest assured, that BEEOTCH won't leak this damned time. LOL
DSCF1649.JPG

Well, I got the pan all cleaned up back on and sealed. I was going to leave "this other" alone, but since I found a flywheel ring gear on the cheap and locally through O'Reilly <rolls eyes>, I'm gonna go ahead and replace it. It only has like three or four chipped teeth, but, that's all it takes. Every now and then the starter fails to engage 100% and grinds a little It'll only get worse, so I'm going to do it while it's "back out". So off with the transmission tomorrow. lol

Yall stay tuned, I'm going to do a how to on replacing a flywheel ring gear, if yall are interested. I haven't done one in years, but it's comin. lol

Rusty do you leave the motor mounts attached to the engine when pulling and installing? I have tried several different combinations. The most recent was on the 83 D150. I left the motor mounts off completely and the engine slid in pretty nice. This is with an a833 transmission. I had the bell housing with clutch arm bolted to the transmission. Was about the easiest I ever accomplished on the slant in that truck. I then went back and put the motor mounts on from the bottom.

Rusty do you leave the motor mounts attached to the engine when pulling and installing? I have tried several different combinations. The most recent was on the 83 D150. I left the motor mounts off completely and the engine slid in pretty nice. This is with an a833 transmission. I had the bell housing with clutch arm bolted to the transmission. Was about the easiest I ever accomplished on the slant in that truck. I then went back and put the motor mounts on from the bottom.
I do! It comes out and goes back in slick as owl ****!

Caint says I never come acrost no owl ****, but if RRR says Its slick then by golly its slick.

Caint says I never come acrost no owl ****, but if RRR says Its slick then by golly its slick.
I can tell ya for a fact, owl chit is slick. Slicker than greased car chit too. RRR knows most of is chit!
Guys that have owne Fords have seen their share of chit! Wait, I did not say that!! I take it back. Maybe not.:poke:

Slicker than deer guts on a door knob?

Alrighty then, I have the first half of the ring gear replacement video uploadin now. Should be ready in a bit.

The engine has been hangin on the hoist full of new oil all day and leaning heavily toward the passenger's side front corner of the oil pan right where the leak was. It's dry as a BONE. Looks like I got it! Oh happy day! I'll update with the ring gear installation tomorrow and then back together!

Still this afternoon, after hanging all night with the right front corner the lowest, the oil pan is still dry as a bone, so mission accomplished "THERE".

I have part 2 of the flywheel ring gear replacement uploading now. It should be done in a little while. I'm not feelin too good today, so I'm gonna lay down a little bit while that's cookin and I'll be back to post it soon.

A couple of notes of worth.....the new ring gear wasn't chamfered on the inside diameter like the factory piece, but no biggie, it went right on anyway. Fell on. Literally. You'll see in a bit. Once everything is room temperature, I will go around and seat it with a hammer and punch, but once you see the video, you'll understand even that's not necessary, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Last edited:
Got the kranmisshun back on and gonna stab it back in in a little while.

Engine and trans back home. She'll be back runnin and drivin tomorrow.
DSCF1658.JPG

She's back on the road. Busted her back off this afternoon and took her to Gray to get some groceries. Got back and the oil pan is dry as a BONE. Oh happy day.

oh...and the bigger fan wouldn't fit, dammit all. Not that she needed it anyway.

Put an oil pressure gauge under Vixen's hood so I can have something more accurate than a light. lol

-
Back