1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

-
Part of the problem is, we've been living in the bedroom ever since we started putting these floors down. When Billy died from his motorcycle accident, our mutual friend that was doing the job retired permanently. He took it real hard. We all did. I don't know the first thing about laminate flooring, so the project is at a standstill. I've tried to get some estimates, but I'll be damned if I can get anybody over.
Its easy but you need GOOD knees!!

We get 18,000 illegals come across here every friggin month, so do you actually think I can find anyone to help change out rear ends????????? Lead says "labor shortage!"

As usual, when you try to do one small thing on an almost sixty year old car, it turns into a much bigger repair than you had hoped. So here I am rebuilding my three on the tree steering column. Well at least if my dumbass caint put it back together, it'll look good. LOL
DSCF1902.JPG
DSCF1905.JPG
DSCF1913.JPG

Fly me out there, feed me Ga. pork BBQ WITH a side a Brunswick Stew, sweet slaw and entertain me with Macon humor, I will will get it done, maybe not correct or pretty but ya get what ya pay for!!!!!>>??

And if I was neighbors with Rusty we would certainly be doing some good car building and car bulling together. Would be awesome to have a near by car buddy.
That would be nice. Thing is, I have some car friends local. Nobody ever bothers. I guess I'm that big an asshole, I don't know.

...or maybe I shouldda put friends in quotation marks. lol

Anytime I have to ask a "friend" for any help doing anything, I can usually tell pretty quick what kind of "friend" he is!
There are reasons farmers tend to have one of every kind of equipment, he can't rely on any help many times!!!
Mom said if YOU or or kids or wife can't handle the ob, YOU are screwed!!!!!
Or invite the neighbors to help brand and tell them they an heel all day, and when thy get there hand them the knife or the syringe or whatever!!:poke:

You know some of the most brilliant people who lived were the biggest assholes!
I don't know how to accept that. Are you giving ma a compliment and sayin I'm brilliant, or insulting me callin me an asshole? LMAO

Don't worry, I already know. LOL

I'd never call you an asshole! I have friends just like that, I'll help them but when I need help, Hum I can't I've gotta do this or that, sorry. The only person I can count on is my son.

I'd never call you an asshole! I have friends just like that, I'll help them but when I need help, Hum I can't I've gotta do this or that, sorry. The only person I can count on is my son.
Yeah, well my son moved out 14 years ago and I've only seen him once since. So cherish that.

Damn, Jason and his family live about 20 miles away,we see each other as much as possible, I love watching my smart-*** grandkids, teach em some granpa stuff!

Ok, I got the coupler rebuilt. I got the rebuild kit from @Rick@Laysons a while back. It's not correct for the early A body using the clamp on steering coupler. The new spring will not fit, because of a larger "bump" in the center. Also of course, I have no need for the new roll pin, or the small pin that keeps the coupler from sliding off, since the early cars had neither. However, the shoes were the same, so I tweaked the old spring out just a little to restore some resistance, Put grease in the coupler and reassembled. Also of note is the quick boot is also not made to fit the early coupler, but it does "fit" and I made it work by sealing it with some clear silicone between the boot and the coupler and used two zip ties zipped really tight. I still recommend the quick boot even for the early cars with the clamp on coupler. While it's not exactly correct, it fits as is and I don't think it would come off. I'm not certain it would seal as is, so I took care of that. But, having over 75 bucks between the quick boot and the coupler rebuild kit, I do wish they had been correct for the early A, but they are not. S'ok, I made it work. I think it'll be fine. Hopefully all the other parts will be here by week's end and I can get old Vixen back runnin and drivin.
DSCF1916.JPG
DSCF1915.JPG
DSCF1914.JPG

Last edited:
Going back together. This is the first manual column I've ever done, but it's really not difficult at all. Everything is in amazing condition for a 58 year old car. All I am waiting on now is another can of red paint. Should be here Tuesday.
DSCF1918.JPG

I’ve always said “It’s better to be an asshole than be a whole ***”!!!

Here it is all done. All I have left is let the paint cure overnight, plug the turn signal switch terminals into the plug housing and pop the horn button back on, then Kitty and I will work it back in. I think it turned out pretty good.
DSCF1922.JPG

Yall know I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I put the terminals in the plug housing and whipped the column back in. I got wore out so I'll finish it up and post pictures tomorrow.

Got it all done and installed. The adjustment is a little tricky, as always in the FSM the language is not always straight forward, but I got it done. Shifts very smoothly. It's brighter red than the rest of the interior, but I don't care. It looks a LOT better than it did and operates even better than it looks.
DSCF1925.JPG
DSCF1924.JPG
DSCF1923.JPG

It all looks darn good to me!!!! But....my wife and friends have at times, said... I'm a crazy dumbass, have no tastes, and can spend money like a drunken sailor or politician! Go figure???

-
Back