1964 Valiant Manual to Power Steering Conversion, 170 /6

-

Beemon

Reaction score
My girlfriend is in the process of aquiring a 1964 Plymouth Valiant that is otherwise pretty stock. It has manual steering and brakes, both of which will be converted to power. The brakes aren't much of an issue, but I'm having trouble tracking down how to do a swap from Manual to Power. There are a few kits I've found on Ebay for new pumps and boxes, but I've read that the column is longer on manual steering cars and the kit is for a 225. How hard is it to do this swap? Are the brackets for the 225 identical to the 170? Are there boxes that fit to the manual column? Also, will I run into clearance issues with the PS pump? Thanks in advance!

I'm doing the same thing as you. I've got most of the pieces and I'm getting ready to start the conversion. The column shaft is MUCH shorter, but you can still use the same column exterior. You just need to find a donor car with a shaft you can use. I'd ask around on the forum. I got mine from Steve's Parts in Arkansas. I think he's a member still on FABO. Can't remember his username.

I can't speak to the rest of the swap, but I'm subscribing because I want to know what other people say too. I have a Federal and a Saginaw pump and I'm not sure which one I'm gonna use yet. Probably the Saginaw if I can because I hear they're significantly better in response and reliability than the Federal, although the Federal has small size on its side.

I'd imagine the brackets would be the same for the 170 and 225 since the difference externally is mostly deck height. I could be wrong though.

As far a donor cars go, I think that 64-66 A-body would work. Remember, the shifter for the automatic moved to the column in 1965 from the dashboard pushbuttons. They use the same firewall gasket kit, which includes one for the steering column. Even if the key were elsewhere, I know that the 66 column does not interchange with a 72.

Swapping columns is not hard. Make sure you get the gasket on right or you wind up with wet floorboards. Swapping the shaft inside the column is more difficult, IMO. I prefer the Saginaw to the Federal pump because it is a little bit smaller & lighter.

-
Back