1964 Valiant V100 Throttle Shaft / Insulator / Carb connection

-

y0willy0

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I dont know the best way to describe what I need help with here, so bear with me as I fumble through this.

When I dragged this old Valiant out of a barn, the throttle shaft was basically just sitting inside the throttle control on the carb (Carter 1bbl).

Nothing is supporting this connection, it is just a simple rod that rotates. It works well enough in the garage, but it doesnt take much jostling to just fall out.

Looking at old parts manuals it seems that maybe there is something that does on the end of the throttle shaft, called an "insulator," that better fills the hole where the shaft meets the carb? I cant find this part anywhere, assuming this is what I need, is it made of rubber, plastic, or foam? I think what im looking for it part #14-11-30 in the top picture below.

Is there also some kind of a pin or other piece that holds the throttle shaft in the throttle control of the carb? Sorry for my poor terminology.

I would just like to make the connection on my slant 6 auto 100% safe and reliable. I could see a stuck throttle in my future otherwise. Is this something I will need to fashion myself? Please tell me if im on the right track, where I can get it, or what I can make it out of. You guys are the pros!

Thanks,

throttle-linkage.jpg

As ive researched this further, it seems this is simply referred to as the rod-type throttle linkage.

I just need to know how it is supposed to be made "solid" with the carburetor, as mine is simply sitting there loose.

Thanks,

there is a rubber bushing that snaps into place-- some have used fuel line to get by until the correct piece is obtained. -- fmmpr on ebay used to sell them & maybe gary goers has them. The rod will snap into the bushing-- very tight fit.Lawrence

-
Back