1965 abody cross member change

-

stroker402

1968 dart GTS convertible
Reaction score
want to install headers and duals on 65 abody ........will the cross member from 66 abody 833 and up fit the 65 833 and earlier ?
Or would you have to notch that cross member for dual exhaust ?

The crossmember from the 66 with an 833 will fit but it will need the notch just like the stock 65 crossmember.

The crossmember from the 66 with an 833 will fit but it will need the notch just like the stock 65 crossmember.

Ok . so what year was the change to the cut outs for dual on the X-member then ? 68 and up for the 340's ? if so..............
would a 68 and up abody cross member work on a early abody then ?

No early A-body car came with dual exhaust and as such all of the transmission x-members are cut out on the drivers side only. In 1967 when the body change was made the x-member was reconfigured for a dual cutout as A body cars were starting to come with duals.

To answer your second question, no, a later x-member will not fit under an early A-body car. You need to do a dual cutout conversion to allow passage through the x-member.

Included is a couple pictures of the early A-body dual exhaust cutout conversion I was offering here for a while. I had about a dozen made but sold them all and haven't been able to amass any other x-members to do some more. I was selling them for $60.00 blasted and painted with the conversion done, and was offering a $10.00 discount if the buyer would ship me his unaltered core to continue this endeavor. Alas, I didn't receive a single core!!

Hope the pictures help!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_2426.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 282
  • 100_3008.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 270
  • 100_3009.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 270
OK ..... thanks for the pics ... I did see some other altered x-members before from other projects .. I was just wondering if the later 68 and up would fit But.. I guess not.. the bolt pattern and design must be different.
When it comes time to cut that out for the duals, I will do it my self.. not a big deal , I'm good at fabbing things up that don't fit right.
Thanks Guys !

This is my 62 Valiant. as you see I´ve cut out a little more even from the Body frame, it works great I think:)

Attachments

• x-member 1962 A-body.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 253
  • x-pipe.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 242
Did this one. The passenger side conforms exactly to the shape of the cross member after I had to reshape it.

Attachments

• cross member 001.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 264
This is my 62 Valiant. as you see I´ve cut out a little more even from the Body frame, it works great I think:)

nice job... but it looks so similar to a newer abody 67 up .. why is the 64-66 so different ? is it the bolt pattern?

nice job... but it looks so similar to a newer abody 67 up .. why is the 64-66 so different ? is it the bolt pattern?

The bolt hole spacing on the early A's are narrower than the later A's.

You will probably have to modify the later crossmemer or the crossmember on the car. The right side crossmember unit on the car is taller than the later models so that either has to be cut and welded or material added to the right edge of the later transmission crossmembr. In post #6 above you can see where he cut his crossmember on the car to raise it for clearance.

You will probably have to modify the later crossmemer or the crossmember on the car. The right side crossmember unit on the car is taller than the later models so that either has to be cut and welded or material added to the right edge of the later transmission crossmembr. In post #6 above you can see where he cut his crossmember on the car to raise it for clearance.

OK .. I see.
Thanks !

-
Back