1965 B-Cuda ProStocker

-

ProStocker273

MoPar N Jeep
Reaction score
Had this old Plymouth for about 14 years.
Its a 1965 Barracuda 273 2bbl Hurst 4 speed I picked up in high school. I sold a 67 383 charger, 1965 chevy van, and my first car a 1960 ford falcon 2 door wagon because I had to many projects and I made a list of what I wanted. Big block with a auto trans, small block with 4 speed, or small block with auto and a posi. Oh and had to be a mopar.

Found this gem for $4500 in Algona Wa talked the guy down to $3100. It had a factory 65 4bbl intake added with a 1406 edelbrock carb and cheesy chrome valve covers. The front seats were new and had one repaint that was about 4 years old. Otherwise this old girl was original sporting 56,*** miles and pretty untouched.

Here is cars current state..

Attachments

• 262466_533805463328205_1645559177_n.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 738
Had much fun camping and sleeping in the back, drive in movies, car shows and cruises. I started to want more performance out of my lil motor so I picked up a 1 inch open hole carb spacer. I go to put it on and I see my edelbrock carb throttle blades had been hitting the opening of the intake. Holy S what a difference that spacer made. Now my carb could open up more when I mashed the skinny pedal. Haha.. time for some loud pipes!

Looks good, I love the look of the carbs through the hood. Looks like a good cruiser.
Have any specs on the engine?

Had some turbo mufflers welded on with AAR style side pipes. Then saved up 1k for some new wheels and tires.

Motor is a factory bore 273. 9:1 pistons, factory forged crank. Heads are casting 920s with with some gasket matching on intake side and some port cleanup. (I'm in process of pulling and doing some more porting as well as taking some off head surfaces and go with .028 head gaskets) comp cams 287TH7 cam. Intake is a 1974 edelbrock street tunnel ram with twin 450 cfm mechanical secondaries. I'm running a orange box electronic ignition for now. I also have a old weber aluminum fly wheel and in the process of finishing some 1.75 with 3 inch collector home built long tube under chassis headers

My current plans are a mid seventies ProStock style build.

Slot mag wheels
4.56 gears
Stretched rear wheel wells and mini tubbed
30x12.5 tires and 26x5 fronts
Lexan windows and straps in place of window regulators.
Tied subframe
73 big bolt pattern disc brakes
(I have all parts already)
71 road runner power buldge around tunnel ram

Battery is already relocated in trunk

Here is shot of motor. I just pulled off intake yesterday and head will be off today to start porting

Attachments

• IMG_20140502_153958_442.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 680
It has been a really fun car. I have always loved rowing gears in her and the dual carbs opening up are just a absolute blast when I mash my big foot gas pedal.

I've had 2.94 gears in it and I'm really excited to get the 4.56 gear rear underneath it.

One thing that always drove me nuts about early a bodies was how the rear tires looked so small not only in width but diameter. I don't need no 32x16 tires but 245s just never did it for me.

I've got a low mile 1972 360 block sitting under the bench but I'm gonna push this 273 about as far as I can without big money. I'd like to get my hands on some commando pistons and then solid roller lifters with a cam change in the 273. First things first get headers finished finally and run the new brake lines for the dual master cylinder.

Picked up couple motors this week. A 1981 360 4bbl motor from a truck and another 1972 360 motor with a 904. This is my second 1972 360 I've found with a 1-18-72 build date and a car oil pan. Both in really good shape inside. The 72 you can't even feel a ridge at the top

Attachments

• 20150915_172138.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 618
  • 20150915_171958.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 612
  • 20150915_171251.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 614
That 360 will make a huge difference in the power you'll make.

Are you going with the 360 now?

Plan was to swap over to a 360 eventually. I'm gonna set cars suspension, brakes, etc up first then get use to launching car with 273 and see how fast I can get it to run. I'll slowing be building 360 in process. Block is almost stripped so I can have bore's sonic checked and then tanked. The 273 is brand new so I'm not gonna yank it just yet.

Finally getting back to it.

Got my exhaust stuff ordered and delivered. Went with same exhaust as hotrod/RoadKills muscle truck

Also got my front tires and front RIMS ordered.

Tires are 165/80-15s

RIMS are 15x5

Attachments

• ET-WHEELS-VALUE-LINE-FIVE-WINDOW-CAST-CENTER.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 555
Finally getting back to it.

Got my exhaust stuff ordered and delivered. Went with same exhaust as hotrod/RoadKills muscle truck

Also got my front tires and front RIMS ordered.

Tires are 165/80-15s

RIMS are 15x5
You will love the look of your car with those wheels , What kind and style from Team III wheels are going to run in the rear ? I have a set of 12x15 with Hoosier radials I can give you some measurements if you need em ...
View attachment IMG_2034.jpg

My shirt say's it all .....

I'll be running the five window high angle 15x8s with as cast centers with 4" backspace.

I'll be stretching the wheel wells for a 30" diameter tire. Not sure on width yet but most likely 12.5.

Ideally I'd like to run a 32x14.5 like the 70s prostocks but I really don't need that much tire. With my Barracuda being smaller a 30x12.5 should get the look I'm going for though.

I'm excited to get the wheels on, was going to go with keystone cragars but I liked the look of the halibrand style wheels much better.

My favorite old race cars is the mopar missle cuda and the WIRE CAR Duster

I wanted to go with the altered wheels for the back but they discontinued the 15x8 size and I can't fit a 15x10 in the back yet.

Really wanted to go with the dow 7 finished centers but I think it might not look good against my copper paint

Picked up couple motors this week. A 1981 360 4bbl motor from a truck and another 1972 360 motor with a 904. This is my second 1972 360 I've found with a 1-18-72 build date and a car oil pan. Both in really good shape inside. The 72 you can't even feel a ridge at the top

As I understand it the early 360 had a higher nickel content.

Its coming along nicely
Those 4.56 gear must make that 273 sing.

I'll be cutting the quarter panel opening and moving axle back also. When I start on Mini tub, I won't be using the outer wheel tub.

I have been without a garage for about a year now and just got into a place with garage so I haven't finished installing rear end yet. I can't wait to let her rip with 4:56 gears and some wide tires out back.

It's your build, but unless you really want to radius the wheel wells, you can get by with just moving the rear axle back; that's what I did. The opening is big enough to easily support a 30" tire, when the axle is moved towards the rear approximately 1 1/2". Either way, cool build.

I'm digging your wheel choices....

vbpgimage.php

I'm not going to be radiusing the wheel wells. I planned on steching them like the Mopar missile wire car.

-
Back