1965 Barracuda....defrost hose.

-

Banjoman09

Reaction score
Well I just got another surprise! I bought 2" hose to replace my defrosters hoses today- when I pulled one out- guess what? They are different size on each end! Never seen this before in all my days; can you tell me where I can find these? Thanks.

Good luck! I ended up getting some used ones at a swap meet. Don't know anyone who repop's them. 65'

There are a few places that sell what is suposed to be the replacment but they are a hose with a bushing so the hose fits where the old tapered hose was. I usually watch for repairable OEM hoses when I go to a wrecking yard or if I see them online as I'm not a fan of the single size and bushing.

There are a few places that sell what is suposed to be the replacment but they are a hose with a bushing so the hose fits where the old tapered hose was. I usually watch for repairable OEM hoses when I go to a wrecking yard or if I see them online as I'm not a fan of the single size and bushing.
Thanks

Well I just got another surprise! I bought 2" hose to replace my defrosters hoses today- when I pulled one out- guess what? They are different size on each end! Never seen this before in all my days; can you tell me where I can find these? Thanks.
Yep!

On our 72 Dart I went down to home depot and got one of their shop vac replacement hose kits.
They come with different adapters to different vacs and I cut a ring off one of the adapter ends and used that to adapt to the larger hose.
Worked great for 20 bucks and had a fair amount left for other projects.
A little 3M adhesive inside the ends at the heater box, and a little around the outside for the defroster ducks. (it fits nice and solid in the ID of the duct)

Then I got even more into detail and used a heat gun to form nice tight corners where they need to turn up from the heater box to the defroster vents.

On our 72 Dart I went down to home depot and got one of their shop vac replacement hose kits.
They come with different adapters to different vacs and I cut a ring off one of the adapter ends and used that to adapt to the larger hose.
Worked great for 20 bucks and had a fair amount left for other projects.
A little 3M adhesive inside the ends at the heater box, and a little around the outside for the defroster ducks. (it fits nice and solid in the ID of the duct)

Then I got even more into detail and used a heat gun to form nice tight corners where they need to turn up from the heater box to the defroster vents.

Glenn...what did you do? ...
I resorted to creative use of duct tape! I figured I'd find a better solution when I get new vents -- the stock ones are trashed. And I have too many bigger things to fix on the car right now.

Glenn...what did you do? I dont know if a 2" by 2.5 bushing would do it? The duct in the car measures 2.25 on the ID and under 2.5" on the OD....

Both the dash vents are 2.5 inch. the heater box has 2 different sizes 2 inch OD and a 2.25 OD.

I used a short 3" piece of thin wall aluminum scrap pipe from work 2 inch OD and it slides into the id of the larger 2.25 port on the heater box leaving a 2"OD spot for both hoses. That way I could use the smaller 2 inch hoses up to the vent and used the adapters from Nostalgic AC - Duct Hose Adapters - Duct Hose & Vents. Had to use very short lengths of the 2.5 hose up high by the vents the challenge is keeping them out the way of wiper mechanisms and such.
you might be up in there a while easier to take the passenger seat out.
good luck

Both the dash vents are 2.5 inch. the heater box has 2 different sizes 2 inch OD and a 2.25 OD.

I used a short 3" piece of thin wall aluminum scrap pipe from work 2 inch OD and it slides into the id of the larger 2.25 port on the heater box leaving a 2"OD spot for both hoses. That way I could use the smaller 2 inch hoses up to the vent and used the adapters from Nostalgic AC - Duct Hose Adapters - Duct Hose & Vents. Had to use very short lengths of the 2.5 hose up high by the vents the challenge is keeping them out the way of wiper mechanisms and such.
good luck
Hey thanks I'll work on this today.

good luck
Think I have it - thanks for all the ideas! I bought a stick of 2.5" defrost hose; fits on the top vents and bought a stick of pvc for a bushing on the bottom vent duct; I didnt realize they were 2 different sizes til you told me! Have it fixed...thanks again- and yes- I took the passenger side seat out- much better! Thanks!

-
Back