1965 Barracuda Header recomendations

-

408 lancer

Reaction score
I haven't been on this site for a long time but working on a new project with my son. Need some current input on what headers (TTI, Doug's, etc.) are the best/easiest for our 65 Barracuda, 340 4 speed project. Has power steering & power brakes.
I know they are all $$ pricey $$ but such is life.
Thanks
Larry B

Under chassis or fenderwell exit?
For under chassis, power steering REALLY limits your choices. Even with manifolds, your only choice is with the pre-'66 stockers. Using the Borgeson power box may free up enough room, but no guarantees.
Spitfires may clear it, but I have never used them. Not sure about the Doug's, either.
TTI claims theirs fit power steering.
Doug's and TTI require other mods to be made to work with the 10.5" clutch and bellhousing- Clutch fork, Z bar... TTI also requires the RobbMc Performance starter for clearance.
If shorties are okay for you, the Hedman block huggers can be easily modded to fit, and the cost is substantially less. This thread details it:
Removing stock exhaust manifolds | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum

Doug's 452's, great fitment and they don't hang down low to the ground. 65'

In my experience, you are looking at pretty impossible with both power steering and a z-bar unless you want to go fenderwell. What is your current setup engine-wise - are you sure you NEED headers?

Also just a tip, when you do get recommendations, I would make sure you have them verify they have a 4 speed with the z-bar and power steering - I'm already seeing recommendations that I worry would not fit.

Not sure fenderwell headers would fit with a power brake booster in the way, either.

1A796D9B-9363-4DC2-BAE6-3C328F24D27E.jpeg
032CFC8B-586C-439A-A437-0294AA27C4C0.jpeg
Just installed Doug’s ceramic coated on my 66’ 273 Barracuda with PS and automatic floor shift car. I put the engine bolted with headers and transmission in from the bottom. Left tube #1 off (it’s removable with Doug’s) and was really simple BUT the headers had to be wratchet strapped together at the collectors to get the proper shaft clearance for the ps shaft joint to clear the #5 tube with no denting. I tried lifting the engine mounts and lowering them- made it worse. I used my TTI exhaust system and modified the collectors and head pipes so they held the collectors together closer so that ps shaft clears. Just an option.
And when I mean closer together it’s like 1/2” closer from static. They look like they would clear a bell housing.

My 360 floor shift auto with manual steering setup works great with Spitfire headers. I doubt seriously you could get them to work with P/S and manual trans. though.

-
Back