1965 Barracuda MC conversion to Dual Resevior - Push Rod Question

-

BarracudaDave

Reaction score
I am currently replacing all brake lines on my 65 Barracuda. The car was already converted to front disk (yeaaaa). I plan on keeping it a manual brake car. For safety, I am converting the master cylinder from a single reservoir to a dual reservoir.

Two problems that I could use some help with:

1) I keep ordering Cardone 101326 - disk/drum 1 inch bore. (I would prefer a 7/8 inch or 15/16 inch bore but I can't find one. They may not move enough fluid for disk??) The picture of the unit from Cardone shows a larger reservoir for the front disk. Unfortunately, O'Reilly's keeps getting equal size reservoirs for a drum/drum application. They were nice enough to have someone at the warehouse open all of the boxes and they were all drum/drum?? If I have to, I'll settle for the equal size reservoirs. I guess I just have to keep an eye on the brake fluid level. Any other recomendations for a m/c that will work?

2) New master cylinders do not come with push rods? It does not appear that my current push rod is compatible with Cardone 10-1326 or any other disk/drum m/c. Other than a junk yard, are any available. It would be a lot easier if the m/c's came with push rods! If someone has a compatible m/c w/ push rod available, I would be interested.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

:blob:

Attachments

• Duel Master.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 588
  • single small file.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 602
The image you posted looks like the disc/drum mc I just took off my valiant. I'm going to install a 85 fifth Ave mc with the adapter plate and stock push rod. If I can remember ill measure the rod. My problem was no one in town had the rod keeper bushing, not even with new or rebuilt mc so I had to order one (I know it can be made from vacation line but when it comes to brakes I want the correct part). I think you pulled the rod and piston out of you mc when the piston was suppost to stay.

You need to use a disc/drum MC like in your picture. Sounds like you have a bunch of brain deads at Oreillys. Do not use a drum/drum MC. Use the right part.
www.rockauto.com is a good source for parts. Don't be so concerned about the size of the bore. The only real difference is the amount of pressure necessary,on the brake pedal.
You will be fine with whichever one you get. Look for a Disc MC out of a 73 Dart.

Your pushrod will work fine. You need to take the piece off the end of it. Use a vice.
I take the pushrod out, before removing the MC, by pulling back on the brake pedal.
Try to save the rubber grommet that is on the end of the pushrod. If you can't,all rebuilt or new MC's should come with one.

To install the MC:
Put rubber grommet into MC...Hint,use a similar size socket to push it in.
Install MC to firewall.
Bolt pushrod to brake pedal.
Align pushrod into MC,and push.
Readjust brake switch
All done.

I used a master cylinder for a '74 Charger with manual disc brakes in my '66 Valiant and it bolted right in and used the stock pushrod. Nice feel and stops great. If you are lucky the master will come with a new pushrod retainer.

I purchased a 73 dart mc for manual disk/drum. Unfortunately, it did not fit. It did not completely cover the hole in the firewall. the shape of the part that goes against the firewall is different than the original. I did not notice the difference in the Cardone picture but it is there. Pictures attached. I'll find one that is the same shape. It also is not come with a rubber push rod retainer. I guess it is not a big deal because the brake pedal will not allow the rod to come out of the m/c.

My picture files are too large to post. They show a notch in the m/c firewall plate that does not completely cover the hole in the firewall. I'll keep looking. Thanks.

I purchased a 73 dart mc for manual disk/drum. Unfortunately, it did not fit. It did not completely cover the hole in the firewall. the shape of the part that goes against the firewall is different than the original. I did not notice the difference in the Cardone picture but it is there. Pictures attached. I'll find one that is the same shape. It also is not come with a rubber push rod retainer. I guess it is not a big deal because the brake pedal will not allow the rod to come out of the m/c.

My picture files are too large to post. They show a notch in the m/c firewall plate that does not completely cover the hole in the firewall. I'll keep looking. Thanks.

Dave....There is 2 different firewall gaskets. Early and Late.
All you need is a $2.00 gasket.

And yes,the rubber pushrod retainer is a BIG deal. Do not install the MC without one. It should come with the MC. Tell the parts house to go through every box until they find one.

You're right. After a lot of searching, I realized that there may not be a disk/drum manual m/c with the same shape flange against the firewall. I decided to make it work by making my own gasket. It covers the little opening in the firewall nicely. I put the standard white styrofoam gasket between my heavy home made gasket and the m/c. Looks good and the 73 Dart m/c will work perfectly.

OK, I'll track down the pushrod retainer. What does it look like? I destroyed the one I had when I pulled the pushrod out of the old m/c. Is it like a big o-ring? Or does it look like a cap? Thanks!!

Small black round grommet, that fits on the end of the pushrod.
This grommet locks the pushrod into the MC.
www.brewersperformance.com has them.

I would still go back to the parts store and tell them the MC is missing the grommet. They usually come with it. Have them check other boxes for one.

Good to know. I'll ask at O'Reilly's if they can find the bushing. If not, I'll get it from Brewers. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from them to rebuild my z-bar. I didn't even think of them for brake parts! I'm good to go. Really appreciate your input on this!

The K-H Disc system starting in 67 had both reservoirs the same size. Just for info. in case anyone cares.

The K-H Disc system starting in 67 had both reservoirs the same size. Just for info. in case anyone cares.

And that is the MC that I am running on my 66 with manual disc! Mine is a correct unit for a 69 Dart with manual disc!! All of the lines I am running are correct for a 67 with manual disc, which comes with the correct intermediate line between the splitter block and the secondary block for the rear brakes, which are mounted on the frame about 6" apart! Correct for 66 and 67 as the frame on my 66 was drilled for both blocks!!

You all know that this thread is older than my underwear....

-
Back