1965 Barracuda- Restomod

-
after you remove the windshield with out breaking it,,there are screws in the channel for the dash,,,then there should be a bolt on each side under the dash behind the kick panel,,

leaks are usually found under the glass in the channel pitts or rotted holes,,usually in the corners,,you will have to either weld and grind smooth or try some sort of epoxy in there to seal it up,,,,some times the windshield wipers are leaking thru the top cowl mounted posts,,

Cool, I didnt know that.

I figure there is rot in the channel so, I know cause this summer is so crummy and Im behind about a year I might as well just start the tear down. Gut the dash, install a new one, and just do what needs to be done.

Good news though, getting all of the console components together. Its going to be very slick.

I went down yesterday and did some more work on the car. We hooked up the brake booster to the pedal and installed the steering column.

Here is a teaser from yesterday while I drove through Sacramento.

securedownload-3-3.jpg

Pretty nice view.

securedownload-1-7.jpg

Dodge. Plymouth.

securedownload-5-3.jpg

Lining up the console.

securedownload-4-3.jpg

The brake booster and the newish air filter.

securedownload-3-4.jpg

A side shot.

securedownload-15.jpg

A great shot.

Next month I will purchase an 8 1/4 rear end from a guy just south of me.

Looking good night rider, keep up the good work and the most important thing, make it the way you want it. Nice grill !!! 8)

Today I'll be picking up a complete 8.25 rear end.

I also began dash removal in the valiant. Coming up I hope to soon gut the valiant until it is a rolling shell, selling what can be uses and buildin the slant six in it for a beefier power plant.

Here is my newest parts addition, the 8.25 rear end.

Ready to roll.

securedownload-2-6.jpg

Here are the drums, the gentleman who sold it to me painted the drums and cleaned them up really well.

securedownload-1-8.jpg

He is going to Carlisle and he even asked me if I needed any parts he would pick them up and bring back whatever I needed. Talk about cool!

Back on saturday I started pulling the dash from the Valiant. I had to remove the windshield. It was all cracked and broken... it didnt come out in one piece.

securedownload-16.jpg

I am getting closer to just gutting the whole car. Soon enough and most of it will be up for grabs.

On Thursday I will go back and pull the whole dash and take the dash pad out and with me when I return home.

On friday Ill update with more pics.

Looking gooood...I always liked the classy 'billet' style of the '64 Valiant grille, it's still current 45 years later. Excellent choice!

guys, plans changed and life too.

the beefed up slant six is no more.

we just scored a 5.7 hemi with 5 speed tranny. life is good.

Well I have decided to use the alterktion front end for the Cuda. I have no choice. Whew it's gonna be another hectic year.

securedownload-5-4.jpg

The infamous 5.7 Hemi. I have everything, computer, wiring, transmission, drive shaft, a/c compressor, everything. I even have a trans tunnel from a GM pickup to weld in for fitment for the trans in the cabin.

You are doing something I have wanted to do for a while: a 5.7 in an early cuda!
I'llshare my plan with you here: I would get the inner fenders as completely as you can from the valiant body, and mount them on a rolling jig at the right level and with the engine on a rolling stand, you could mock up the inner fenders by rolling it up, marking it, trimming a little, etc. Once you get it to fit between the inner fenders with them at the right width and height, make a template and cut the inner fenders on the cuda the same way. You can then custom fab some sections to replace the cut out areas that are convex to match the engine. Weld them in, grind it all smooth, paint it up, and Voila: Stock looking inner fenders!

You are doing something I have wanted to do for a while: a 5.7 in an early cuda!
I'llshare my plan with you here: I would get the inner fenders as completely as you can from the valiant body, and mount them on a rolling jig at the right level and with the engine on a rolling stand, you could mock up the inner fenders by rolling it up, marking it, trimming a little, etc. Once you get it to fit between the inner fenders with them at the right width and height, make a template and cut the inner fenders on the cuda the same way. You can then custom fab some sections to replace the cut out areas that are convex to match the engine. Weld them in, grind it all smooth, paint it up, and Voila: Stock looking inner fenders!

thanks, I never thought about that. Thank god I have that valiant for extra parts!

Right now Im trying to wrap my head around saving 4,000 for a front suspension system. I wish I could just get it without the shocks, spindles, and all those other things. I have 90% of that already. I just need that K frame and motor mounts. Anyone think RMS would work with me on that?

I don't know but I bet there are folks (maybe even you) who could build one. Someone on here probably has one, can get you lots of pictures and measurements.

Talked to rms today and I felt better about the kit. Plus more early cudas than I thought have the 5.7 swap so I feel good knowing it can be done.

Today, aftr running on about 3 1/2 hours of sleep and successfully navigating SFO airport, about 1 1/2 hours before the bomb threat that was called in today. Thank God my girlfriend's plane took off before hand.

Anyway, I pulled the transmission radiator and engine today. Now the measurements take place for the Hemi. Also, I scored an old set of slot mags that my dad had on a mustang project he has going. Free wheels and tons of work done? It was a good day. Pics to come tomorrow, I just got home after being awake for 17 hours and I have to be up in 6 hours! UGH.

securedownload-3-5.jpg

Old.

securedownload-5-5.jpg

New.

securedownload-8-1.jpg

Out with the old.

Not yet in with the new.

securedownload-6-2.jpg

Need to do some spring cleaning and sort the Chevy parts from the Mopar.

securedownload-7-1.jpg

This will be next on the chopping block, gonna cut the trans tunnel out of a Chevy pickup and weld it into the floor of the car.

Didnt do much work this last weekend. It was just nice to see the car. I pulled the trans, bellhousing and clutch off the engine.

IMG_0640.jpg

I added the new headlight rings that i purchased from 68 Bee awhile back, they look real nice!

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

There she sits.
IMG_0641.jpg

Sigh, well, I need to save about 3,700 more dollars for the front suspension. I think I'll give up eating and heat. That should speed up the savings! Ha!

-
Back