1965 Barracuda- Restomod

-
the front suspension sure is expensive. why not just up grade t-bars and the spindles to pre '73 10" drums or oem discs for new ssbc disc brakes.

Work on the Cuda has slowed down to a crawl. I just recovered many parts that were almost written off as stolen. So that's good. Right now I'm just saving more money.

On tuesday I am going to purchase a 71 Duster v8 K member because I have everything I need in order to do a late Hemi onto a stock v8 set up. All the way from mounts, to spindles for the disc brakes.

I bought a nice v8 K member from a 72 Duster. Looks real good. I just finished cleaning the surface dirt and grime off of it. I'm going to paint it black and hopefully install it this weekend.

Next up are some spool mounts and then in goes the Hemi.

Yay!

securedownload-1-10.jpg

After it came home, and after I brushed it with a wire brush.

securedownload-20.jpg

After I primered it and drove it 200 miles to get test fitted. It fits!

I am currently searching for a Tremec T5 on craigslist. I can mate one up to my Hemi and get a 5 speed going. Most are pretty cheap used, better than 1,200 on Summit. I should have no problem holding up with the Hemi. All said and done I can get the whole set up sans flywheel and clutch for about 700-800 bucks.

wow tremec for 150.....now i really hate you!, hahaha jk thats awesome man.

It's just a matter of finding the right transmission from a car being parted out. I got lucky on this one.

I'll hold onto my OD trans for a future project.

I got a big list of things to do now.

Rebuild front suspension

Swap rear end

Upgrade to disc brakes

Drop in the new k member

Cut cabin floor and put in a new trans hump

Fabricate a new cross member

Drop in engine and trans

Rewire whole car

Who thinks I can do it before June?

# 1 the T5 will not hold up to that motor your 5.7 unless you drive it like it was your grand mother driving it,,there are up graded gear sets for those trannys, and will cost you around 2500 when finished,,,and still not a bullet proof trans with that motor if you have a decent rear tire,,,

as for the 1972 K frame the 1967 and up A bodies are 1 1/2 inches wider in the frame rail area compared to the 1966 and older,,,ide like to see pics of that 72 K frame bolted in to your early A,,,

Agree with fstfish66... that trans is a bit scary for my taste, I have heard a bunch of negative items about its sturdiness. Yours is used...

Plus with that weight on the front end I would look into rebuilding the front-end with a Firm Feel kit or similar.

Have Fun.

-
Back