1965 Barracuda trunk lid support

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
They made both the ratchet type and the spring type in your year. They're not a bolt-on interchange so you might want the specify which.

I do not know what I need.....if it is any help the angle on trunk lid has no threads on stud for attach.Are either adaptable?
Thanks alot for your help guys.
BTW it is a Canadian built car

Here's a picture of my 65 cuda trunk support. There is a bracket on the right side of body and a bracket under the trunk lid. The ratchet type support is as shown in picture. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• trunk latch.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 268
FWIW, Laysons Restorations has a complete kit that uses a gas cylinder, like modern hatches or trunks. We have one on my daughters 66 cuda, works great. Far superior to the original, IMHO.

I fabricated a gas spring for my trunk lid as the original was missing in my 66 cuda. Works
great!!! Fairly easy to install. Better than factory.

Thanks alot everyone for your help!!!!Canary runner do you know a brand and part # for shock you used?I you do not I will go with Laysons set

Cheers and thanks again

I will get the numbers off the gas spring tonight. The brackets I made out of some scrap
steel I had laying around. Will try to send a pic or 2 also but may have to wait til the weekend when the wifes at home.(I'm not too computer savey yet...)

The gas spring I used was from Austin Hardware. Very nice people to deal with. You may be able to have this number crossed at a local parts store. The number & brand is Genesis
by Stabilus #6363UQ. Like I said I fabricated the brackets myself... triangle shape 1/8"
material... one side 2", 2 sides2-1/2". Drill 5/16" hole near outer edges ... 1 in center of 2"
side , 1 at the point of 2-1/2" sides...Tweak brackets in vise to approximate 15 degrees.
You will be able to use one existing hole in trunk lid & one existing hole in the center portion under trunk lip. I put mine on DS. When the lid is down there will be little or no presure up so as not to put any undo stress on hinges going down road. Sorry no pics.
I just got home awhile ago & wife is at work til the weekend if you need pics to complete this project. Like I said earlier I'm not too savey on this machine. Good Luck!!!

Wow , thanks for all the help Canary,much appreciated.I have sourced a spring and will do the mod as you say.As far as being computer savvy I am still trying to figure them out too LOL

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back