1965 Dart: Confirming VIN, fender tag and body numbers

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking at a 65 Dart and trying to confirm that the numbers are all in order. It was a slant six car but has a 318 in it now. The owner passed on and the car has been in a field for years. The VIN plate is not in place but one was laying on the floor below the dash.
The fender tag looks legit. The DD1 color listed on the tag matches the inside of the trunk.
I have owned several 67 and later Darts that had VINs starting with an "L". This VIN plate starts with a 21.
The core support has a stamped number that does not match the fender tag or VIN.
How do you confirm numbers on these cars?

The VIN in the car does decode to what the car is, a 65 Dart sedan with a slant six. I just wonder why the fender tag and core support all have different numbers.

You cannot confirm that the VIN on that tag matches your car without having the cars' broadcast sheet. Thats the only way to tie the VIN to the Sales Order Number, on a pre-'69 A body, which is what is stamped on the rad support. If your VIN starts with a "215...", then it is a Dart 170 w/170 ci slant 6. ("235... would be Dart 270 , "245..." would be Dart GT)

Wow, thank you. That is surprising that it would be so easy to commit fraud. An unscrupulous hack could swap numbers easily and nobody would know.
The VIN does start with 2152 which decodes as a 65 Dart 2 door sedan with a slant six.
This could be legit. I did not look at the seats to see if a broadcast sheet was there but I doubt it. The seats look like they were reupholstered in Mexico some time ago!

Wow, thank you. That is surprising that it would be so easy to commit fraud. An unscrupulous hack could swap numbers easily and nobody would know.
The VIN does start with 2152 which decodes as a 65 Dart 2 door sedan with a slant six.
This could be legit. I did not look at the seats to see if a broadcast sheet was there but I doubt it. The seats look like they were reupholstered in Mexico some time ago!
You're welcome....and , yes, it's not hard to fraudulently build a high-option, rare early a body from a run-of-the-mill plain janer.

I wonder if the VIN system changed over time to make it harder to commit fraud. My 67 Dart has the VIN on the door hinge pillar but I guess all '68 and later cars had them on the dash frame.
When I hear people talk about "body numbers", do they match the VIN on later cars? I have a finished 1970 Charger and I don't want to peel up trunk weatherstripping or coolant stickers just to check.

Your '70 Charger should have VIN's stamped in those places. VIN stamping started in '69. You can sometimes see the numbers with a mirror from the underside.

That is a good idea. I have my Charger VIN memorized so I'll go and check tomorrow. Thank you again for the help.

-
Back