1965 Dart Gas Pedal and linkage

-

sazzlefrats

Reaction score
I just drove my "thing" around the block for the first time ever, its clear I've got a few bugs to work out. The biggest that I can see is my current gas pedal and linkage needs a lot revisement, fine tuning probably doesn't even begin to describe it.

Could anyone share a picture of their /6 or v8 gas pedal and the linkage going to the firewall?

My car originally was a /6, but its a v8 now and with the truck frame the v8 sits a good 6" lower than it would if I were using the car frame.

Current Setup: I've got the /6 pedal (floor mounted) but the loop at the top is not being used. I see a pivot on the floor and a 8 inch semi circular curved rod that looks like one end was cut off short so that it rests against the gas pedal (which requires a mountain of effort to push down and gives non-linear acceleration), the rest of this curved metal rod, connects to a vertical rod which then connects to the horizontal throttle rod which goes to the carb.

The refinement I'm looking for I believe is I'd like to use the top loop on the gas pedal and reclaim a smooth operating gas pedal system. I'm hoping that I can just use the /6 in car linkage for the whole thing, or maybe the v8 linkage, I have no idea not sure what the original stuff looks like.

Your description of the current setup sounds like my 64 Valiant slant, which has a long rod in the engine bay which rotates to turn the throttle on the carb. The top of the pedal has a rod that pulls down on a lever arm on the pivot.

My 65 Dart 273 is totally different, with the pedal acting on a lever which swings toward the firewall, like the brake pedal. On the other side of the "see-saw" pivot it pulls a cable which passes thru the firewall. This is in a special plate that bolts to the firewall where the rod pivot would attach in the 64. I kind of recall reading that 65 slants had a similar pedal setup as in 64. I don't know if they kept the long rod or added a cable. I also kind of recall that all V-8's had a cable, even in 64.

You are limited in choices for what you are doing. The easiest would be to locate a floating/hanging pedal setup from any 70's or 80's mopar and use a cable. A good choice would be the cable from a slant equipped truck since the cable would be longer than one sourced from a car.

If you wish to retain the floor mounted pedal you will have to locate the pedal assembly from a 64-66 273 a-body or from an AC equipped slant a-body from those same years. I have been thinking of making an adaptor to convert the twisting motion of a shortened factory rod to pull a cable so that I could retain my pedal and kickdown while allowing more carb choices.

Mid 60's c-bodies also used a floor mount pedal. It is wider than the a-body unit, but you could likely use the entire pedal/bracket to get youself to a cable system.

A picture would help so we would know what you have to work with. I would also suggest you download the 66 service manual that is somewhere on the fabo site. It shows very detailed pictures of the throttle linkage in the transmission section.

I'll get some pictures tonight.

You are limited in choices for what you are doing. The easiest would be to locate a floating/hanging pedal setup from any 70's or 80's mopar and use a cable. A good choice would be the cable from a slant equipped truck since the cable would be longer than one sourced from a car.

If you wish to retain the floor mounted pedal you will have to locate the pedal assembly from a 64-66 273 a-body or from an AC equipped slant a-body from those same years. I have been thinking of making an adaptor to convert the twisting motion of a shortened factory rod to pull a cable so that I could retain my pedal and kickdown while allowing more carb choices.

Mid 60's c-bodies also used a floor mount pedal. It is wider than the a-body unit, but you could likely use the entire pedal/bracket to get youself to a cable system.

A picture would help so we would know what you have to work with. I would also suggest you download the 66 service manual that is somewhere on the fabo site. It shows very detailed pictures of the throttle linkage in the transmission section.

In my 66 valiant is the. Same way it has the rods. It has to be changed I installed one in mine last night from the coronet I had to fab some but it will work great

The garage was a bit dark, I am rather surprised the pictures are this clear.In the first photo you can see the linkage coming through a hole that was made for it in the firewall. The heavy rod thats mounted on the pivot on the floor the cut end rests at the mid point of the gas pedal. I guess you can see the rest of the devastation that was done to put a car and a truck together. :p

Let me know what you think, do I want a /6 linkage, v8, or go with a cable linkage. I pretty much want to do the cheapest thing possible to achieve smooth reliable gas pedal operation.
IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Cheapest and easiest is the later hanging pedal setup with matching cable. Almost every car built in the 70's,80's and some 90's can donate the pedal setup but most efi cars won't have a suitable cable.

LOCAR makes a cable set up I used it on my 65 Dart and it's the easiest and best thing ever!!!!

Cheapest and easiest is the later hanging pedal setup with matching cable. Almost every car built in the 70's,80's and some 90's can donate the pedal setup but most efi cars won't have a suitable cable.

So like a 71 demon, 74 scamp, anything with a v8 in that range would work? What about a 67 v8 dart?

I pulled this from a 66 Valiant I parted out, not correct but worked fine, came out of a newer a or b-body car I think....$10 plus shipping and its yours, PM me if interested. :glasses7:

Attachments

• DSC07384.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 412
  • DSC07386.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 419
Its an odd one, just one mounting bolt? Does you have the cable that goes with it?

I pulled this from a 66 Valiant I parted out, not correct but worked fine, came out of a newer a or b-body car I think....$10 plus shipping and its yours, PM me if interested. :glasses7:

-
Back