1965 Dart interior color and upholstery help

-

MidnightSwinger

Reaction score
Bear with me here, this is my first early A.

What color is my interior? It had rubber flooring(flooring says “tan”) but I want to put carpet in. What color should the carpet be? Or even, what color do you think would look good?

I want to get the seats recovered and I’m looking for suggestions on color and material for that too. This is not a factory restoration, but I do want to keep as much of the interior original as possible,so I want something that looks good with what’s already there.

Would black carpet and seats clash too much? Anyone with an early A with this color interior please show me what you have done.

Thanks,
Jared

IMG_4712.jpeg

IMG_4713.jpeg

IMG_4714.jpeg

IMG_4359.jpeg

IMG_4360.jpeg

The 170, 270 and GT interiors all had different patterns but the same basic colors. Here is a picture from my 65 Color and Upholstery Album showing the all vinyl patterns and colors for the 170

IMG_6672.jpeg

I may be mistaken but I believe Legendary only does the pattern for the GT and in the GT colors. You might check to see if they do the 270 style. You also might see if SMS (I think it is) carries the 170’s vinyl inserts and skirts in your choice of color. If so you could get a local upholstery shop stitch them up.

I ran into a similar issue on my 65 Dart wagon with it’s torn up front bench and special rear folddown seat. No one carried ready to install seat covers in the 270 pattern. Legendary only did the GT bucket covers and nothing for the wagon rear seat. My solution was to use a complete 66 Barracuda interior - front and rear seats as i saved the interior from a Barracuda I parted out. Legendary make covers for that year. I did a custom order - 66 Barracuda interior in the 65 metallic blue color.

Last edited:
The 170, 270 and GT interiors all had different patterns but the same basic colors. Here is a picture from my 65 Color and Upholstery Album showing the all vinyl patterns and colors for the 170

View attachment 1716165231

I may be mistaken but I believe Legendary only does the pattern for the GT and in the GT colors. You might check to see if they do the 270 style. You also might see if SMS (I think it is) carries the 170’s vinyl inserts and skirts in your choice of color. If so you could get a local upholstery shop stitch them up.

I ran into a similar issue on my 65 Dart wagon with it’s torn up front bench and special rear folddown seat. No one carried ready to install seat covers in the 270 pattern. Legendary only did the GT bucket covers and nothing for the wagon rear seat. My solution was to use a complete 66 Barracuda interior - front and rear seats as i saved the interior from a Barracuda I parted out. Legendary make covers for that year. I did a custom order - 66 Barracuda interior in the 65 metallic blue color.
I’ve looked into that option but it’s too cost prohibitive to get them recovered in the original material. I’m thinking about aftermarket buckets and then having the rear bench recovered to match.

Does anyone think these Procar seats in Beige will go well with the stock interior?

IMG_4724.jpeg

I’ve looked into that option but it’s too cost prohibitive to get them recovered in the original material. I’m thinking about aftermarket buckets and then having the rear bench recovered to match.

Does anyone think these Procar seats in Beige will go well with the stock interior?

View attachment 1716165243
They might be a little light but the stock door panels are multi colored. Does Procar offer a upholstery sample?

@RPM440+6 can tell you . That's Richard O'Shields. He is a dealer of all things interior. I tagged him so maybe he'll chime in.

Well, Facebook marketplace got me again. I got both seats for less than the price of one. I’m thinking about dying them dark brown, but I’m going to install them first just to see what they look like. If it’s not ugly, I’ll roll with it.

image.jpg

Well, Facebook marketplace got me again. I got both seats for less than the price of one. I’m thinking about dying them dark brown, but I’m going to install them first just to see what they look like. If it’s not ugly, I’ll roll with it.

View attachment 1716165655
Score! @318willrun installed some Procar seats on a video. They look good and comfy!

Here is the back edge of the back seat, if the color is too far off I’m going to try to match one of these colors.

IMG_4725.jpeg

seem to be a quality seat. Not a lot of use so far in my car so I cannot testify how they will stand the test of times, but they are comfy and seem to be a nice seat.
I enjoyed your video. I had already installed some procars in a 74 swinger, but you still taught me something new. I didn’t think about cutting the mounting bracket! Much cleaner look than leaving it hanging down. I’ll be doing that on the 65.

Man Jared that's going to be a fun car...I love that thing.

-
Back