1965 Dart Seat Track - drilling new holes & do these tracks have height adjusters?

-

sazzlefrats

Reaction score
I bought some recaro replica car seats. And now I'm working out how to mount them to the car.

First thing I noticed was that unlike mustangs which have raised built in seat platforms, was that OMG the floor isn't raised or level in the 1965 dart. I know many of you are thinking I'm a dumbazz. But it was a revelation for me. And it turns out that while the dart bucket seat holes are 12 1/4 distance front to back, and 17 1/4 apart side to side, my new seats are .... variable front to rear, but at least one set of holes will make the 12 1/4 front to rear, but OMG the width is way off.. the front is 13" side to side and the rear holes are 13 1/4" side to side.

I think the best solution is to resuse the seat brackets as that gets me both the right height and keeps things level, and then drill new holes in the car to remount the seats. It looks like the holes near the transmission tunnel are reinforced, but the others are not. Would the reinforcing be to absorb the strain against the transmission and not really because its needed for the seat?

2nd question, what do the 2 bolts per each seat track on the sides do, kinda looks like they might control the height. (which might be good since I'm short)?

I just bought a set of procar scat seats with the install kit for a mustang from a swap meet. I'm kinda in the same boat as you are. Ill find out more in the coming days as far as what I'm going to have to do to make them work.

Mine had the seat adapters to install in a prelude. I'm pretty positive I'm just going to drill new holes, to move the OEM seat brackets inboard 2" on each side.I'm not sure why I'm worried about putting a few holes in the car, its probably the cleanest and lightest way to to make them fit. Bought a drill bit for the job already too.

If you're gonna make new holes you will want a metal reinforcement plate so the bolts dont just pull right through the sheet metal if you get in an accident.

Just use a thick fender washer and you'll be fine.

I was thinking the same. I have all the stock seat nuts (built in fender washer) The two outside holes aren't reinforced at all anyhow. I'm hoping that the two inside holes will still be on the reinforcement. I think I'm going to risk invoking the wrath of the wife, I'm going to set this thing up tonight.

I tried flipping the brackets around... between the height adjusters and the length differences... it was a total bust. Nothing you can do there.

The brackets are two piece brackets.... Bingo... on the side without the lever, I'm going to put a 2in spacer between the two brackets, on the the otherside I can't put a 2" spacer so I'll redrill two holes too inches closer and move the whole bracket inboard.

After taking measurements I need to bring the front of the brackets inwards 4 3/8" and the rear brackets by 4 1/4. I'll get some tubing and washers tomorrow to make my spacers and I'm going to drill away tonight. I've double checked the outermost bracket really does not have any reinforcing, so its probably not needed. I'll use the factor seat nuts there.

And since I'm using the procar seat's sliders I'll immobilize the dart's seat adjusters.

I was going to get fancy and put in a stiff metal plate, or take the seat brackets apart and put in spacers.... waste of time, and waste of money.

Instead I drilled 4 new holes in the floor pan, I'll put in oversized fender washers and lock nuts. The top of seat brackets, I'm drilling out the rear studs to put in allen screws (not really enough room to spin a nut on a bolt). K.I.S.S. simple is best.

I mocked up the new bucket seats on the seat brackets and I am not adjusting the height of the seat brackets, at the lowest setting its taller than the original seat, and clears the ceiling by a couple inches.

I tested the seat brackets out in the new holes, no interference with any of the bracketery on the underside of the car, even the dimples in the sheet metal were narrowly avoided. And they don't wiggle when snugged down.

I tried flipping the brackets around... between the height adjusters and the length differences... it was a total bust. Nothing you can do there.

The brackets are two piece brackets.... Bingo... on the side without the lever, I'm going to put a 2in spacer between the two brackets, on the the otherside I can't put a 2" spacer so I'll redrill two holes too inches closer and move the whole bracket inboard.

After taking measurements I need to bring the front of the brackets inwards 4 3/8" and the rear brackets by 4 1/4. I'll get some tubing and washers tomorrow to make my spacers and I'm going to drill away tonight. I've double checked the outermost bracket really does not have any reinforcing, so its probably not needed. I'll use the factor seat nuts there.

And since I'm using the procar seat's sliders I'll immobilize the dart's seat adjusters.

Done. 1965 Dart Seat Brackets direct mount to the procar slider rails on the procar copycat seats. All I need to do to the dart seat rails was knock off the rear stud. And I drilled 4 holes in the dart floor for each seat. What I do notice is the seat is flexing the floor. I think the floor was flexing before so .... I'm going to need to reinforce the floor be I get on the road.

-
Back