1965 Formula S (with A/C) Ballast Resistor Location?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Looking at old photos ballast resisitor must have been on the cowl, above the hood tension rods. Is that the factory location for a vehicle like mine? Thank you.

Barracuda motor blue copy.jpg

With factory AC the ballast resister gies on the cowl. In face there’s a little dimple on the cowl above the pinchweld to locate thé resistor

Last edited:
While we are on it, maybe we kind find what these two "mystery" holes are in the upper firewall just below the seam, one on driver's side and one on passenger side (see green tape). Thank you again.

green hole 1.JPG

green hole 2.JPG

The one on the passenger side is for the 2 vacuum hoses that open and close the water valve and the other one goes to, if I’m not mistaken, the intake manifold as the vacuum source for the pushbutton controls. I’ve got 3 sets of hoses and two of them are as I described; the other set has all 3 vacuum lines incorporated into one grommet so there would be just a single hoke in the firewall

Also as another bit of info, there are 2 small holes under the heater tubes - the hole under the far left heater tube is for the ground strap to the engine in a 65.

I found two holes directly behind the power brake booster and two screws in a sandwich bag with a note (I made the note almost 3 years ago) they belong behind the power booster on the firewall. There is no notation whether the two holes or screws serve any purpose.

I’ll take a look at my firewall tomorrow and see if i have anything like that.

I found two holes directly behind the power brake booster and two screws in a sandwich bag with a note (I made the note almost 3 years ago) they belong behind the power booster on the firewall. There is no notation whether the two holes or screws serve any purpose.

On my firewall it is for the horn relay. Currently I’ve got just one fastener holding the relay

A3004BEE-65E7-4650-BA02-61D600A7C947.jpeg

photo of screw behind p/b booster (one installed/one missing):

Edit: The vacant hole (that is made with a dimple) that is next to the fastener in the photo is for a plastic firewall nail to secure the insulation pad on the inside of firewall.

DSC04826.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the bulged out holes hold the dash insulation in place. The hole just down from where your bolt is in the firewall.

While we are on it, maybe we kind find what these two "mystery" holes are in the upper firewall just below the seam, one on driver's side and one on passenger side (see green tape). Thank you again.

View attachment 1715641145

View attachment 1715641146
Your upper picture shows the bulkhead connector position. By your picture I can say this is a later produced car. Which date was your car assembled?
I've had 3 rusted out 65 Dart, all of the assembled in mid August 1964. This is the location of the bulkhead connector. As you can see it has an upright position.

20180909_144357.jpg

Re: The vacant hole in post #11:

The vacant hole (that is made with a dimple) that is next to the fastener in the photo is for a plastic firewall nail to secure the insulation pad on the inside of firewall. For certain it is used to secure pad for A/C equipped vehicles (not sure if present/needed for non A/C applications).

-
Back