1965 master cylinder

-

hdroyals

Reaction score
i am putting disk brakes on my 1965 cuda does anybody know what master cylinder i should go with. I will not be putting power brakes on car but would like to get something that will bolt right in

thanks

I used a '74 B body manual disc master on my '66 Valiant. It's a one year only with a small (13/16") bore that feels like a boosted system...

A lot of members are using the new style master cylinders that have the aluminum housings. Maybe someone will weigh in with the application. The advantage with something modern is that it will be in stock should you need to replace it in the future.

You get to make a trade-off between pedal effort and pedal travel. A smaller master cylinder bore will reduce pedal effort at the expense of increased travel. Are you using large or small piston calipers? What size rear brakes and what size rear wheel cylinders?

My brake donor car (75 Swinger) had manual disk brakes. The master cylinder bore was 1 1/32" and although I only drove the car a couple miles, I recall the pedal to be hard, but manageable.

That said, on my 65 the brakes will go back together with the larger bore calipers (2.75" vs 2.6", with larger 11.75" rotors) and a super common 15/16" bore master cylinder. If rear lockup is an issue (doubtful) I will reduce the rear wheel cylinder size (10" drums with 13/16").

If I remember correctly, i used a 72 challenger manual disc master cyl. on mine.

i am using the front disk brakes off of a 1975 dart. the dart has power brakes but i was going to use the dart calipers can i still go with manual master cylinder or do i have to go with power brakes. wanted to stay away from booster because of room but i have the booster from the dart

The Dart calipers will play well with a manual master cylinder. They have done so in 4 cars and counting for me. Guess which master cylinder it was...

dont know but i would really like to. did you u use the same on all cars you did

and thanks for the info

i am also using the rearend out of the dart but i am not sure the size of the drums i will check

On my 3 60's Mopars, I used a 2-bolt alum ABS master cyl from a 95-99 Breeze ($25 new ebay) w/ "2-to-4 bolt" adapter plate ($30 ebay). It has a 7/8"D bore, which should give an acceptable pedal in manual. Only 1 of my 3 cars has manual brakes, but drum. Plumb a proportioning valve in the rear tubing ($25 adjustable, ebay).

I'm doing the disc brake (manual) upgrade on my '65 Barracuda also.

The few places that I've looked at for a master cylinder show the '74 B body to have a 1" bore on the manual brakes. There is a smaller bore one some wheres?

Thanks

Good catch eestatic. Looks like my beloved master cylinder has been replaced with something the rebuilders can get. The one I am used to had a 13/16" bore and was a real peach. Should have known that something that was only used 1 maybe 2 years wouldn't last forever. Haven't bought one since 2006 and never gave it a thought. I'll shut up about this one now. Sorry guys, looks like I was wrong to recommend this without checking further...

will the 1974 still work for what i m doing or should i take it back for a better choice

will the 1974 still work for what i m doing or should i take it back for a better choice
Depends on how strong your thigh is. A 1" bore will give less pedal travel, but require more effort. 15/16"D will require 12% less force, and 7/8"D 23% less. It seems that all new cars use power boosters, no matter how small the car, so I assumed a booster was needed for front disks. However, many here do fine with a manual MC w/ disks. We might call them "Team Big Thigh".

i was just thinking about motor a motor swap i doesnt look possible with a booster on the car

so far everything is bolting right up from the 1975 dart only problem so far looks like mounting bracket up front for sway bar but looks simple enough

-
Back