1965 valiant automatic shifter cables

-

JimMac

Reaction score
does anyone know where I can locate a shifter cable for the 65 column shift automatic. I believe it was the only year this system was use. The park cable is cracked and the trans fluid leaks out.

The gearshift cable is separate from the park lock cable. The 1965 Transmission Parking Lock Cable for A-Body without center console is part no. 2460552 (Same as 1965 C Body). The 1965 Gearshift Control Cable for A-Body without center console is part no. 2534413 (same as 1965 B Body). Hopefully someone here at FABO can help you out with a used one, since the new ones are expensive (over $200 each). If you are interested in new ones, just google "Cable 2460552" or "Cable 2534413".

I was recently looking for the same part for my '65 A-100 and mostly found the shorter ones for your car. Imperial Services looks like they make them to order, but I found a NOS one from Collectors Auto Supply. It was expensive, but they were fast! They are near us in Blaine WA. I did successfully patch my damaged shift cable casing with PlastiDip, but it is up higher than the tranny and not getting fluid under pressure.

The gearshift cable is separate from the park lock cable. The 1965 Transmission Parking Lock Cable for A-Body without center console is part no. 2460552 (Same as 1965 C Body). The 1965 Gearshift Control Cable for A-Body without center console is part no. 2534413 (same as 1965 B Body). Hopefully someone here at FABO can help you out with a used one, since the new ones are expensive (over $200 each). If you are interested in new ones, just google "Cable 2460552" or "Cable 2534413".
Thanks, I hope to find a used on but if I have to I will have to go new. When I convert to Canadian dollars it really gets costly.

I was recently looking for the same part for my '65 A-100 and mostly found the shorter ones for your car. Imperial Services looks like they make them to order, but I found a NOS one from Collectors Auto Supply. It was expensive, but they were fast! They are near us in Blaine WA. I did successfully patch my damaged shift cable casing with PlastiDip, but it is up higher than the tranny and not getting fluid under pressure.
Mine is beyond repairing. I have phoned Collectors for a price and left a message. I would really like to find a used one.

Why not fix your old cable by the traditional method of running fuel line over it from firewall to transmission, and then clamping it a both ends.

Last I heard Imperial Services stopped making them for individual customers...

Why not fix your old cable by the traditional method of running fuel line over it from firewall to transmission, and then clamping it a both ends.
Yesterday I removed the cable and when I played with it I realized that what happened is that the exhaust header pipe was too close and burnt the plastic cover. I see there is metal under that cover that the cable runs through so repairing the plastic cover might be an option but it might break again. But if I did that and then did your idea of putting the hose over the area as well I would have an extra backup. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yesterday I removed the cable and when I played with it I realized that what happened is that the exhaust header pipe was too close and burnt the plastic cover. I see there is metal under that cover that the cable runs through so repairing the plastic cover might be an option but it might break again. But if I did that and then did your idea of putting the hose over the area as well I would have an extra backup. Thanks for the suggestion.

But there may be a plastic liner in the conduit under the metal.... :BangHead:

Check to be sure...

Heck I heard that Imperial Services was dead in the water? Is that not the case....something about their website is up, but no ones home?

Last I heard Imperial Services stopped making them for individual customers...
Yeah, last I heard Imperial Services just stopped making customers.....orders left open for months, checks cashed.

You can mend burned sheath by using shrink wrap at the ends of hose to get a nice seal. The fluid in there is not under pressure.

-
Back