1965 Valiant bench seat seatback issues

-

scott_s

Reaction score
I posted about this a while back, but I could use some advice on my seatback. Something is damaged or bent, and the seat will sometimes fall backwards, which is dangerous.
I will add some before/after pics of my attempts at repair.

I added a washer to the outside of the frame where the cotter pin goes, in an attempt to keep the seatback from sliding outward towards the door.
The factory stops or strips aren't there on the seat bottom. It came to me with these strips screwed down. I cut a thick piece of rubber and stacked the strips. That helped a lot.
The biggest issue, I think, is the pin that is in the middle of the seat. It's obviously bent or broken (though I have been told that's how it's supposed to look). I tried bending it, but had no luck without heat, and that's not really an option with the upholstery. I also tried bending the part of the seat that slides over that pin. It's a little hard to tell in the pics, but the ear on the seatback is just barely over the pin on the seat. I am also told that I' missing a plastic insert piece here? Can I get some pics of how this is supposed to look?

I think if I could somehow extend the pin so that it goes further into the seatback, that would solve the problem. I'm also thinking about bending an L shaped bracket for the strip on the seat bottom, but it's really stopped slipping off there. It seems that the biggest problem is the bent pin in the middle of the seat.

Can I see some pics of how it's supposed to look? And I'm open to ideas on how to fix this and not damage the upholstery.
seat back.jpg

seat rub strip.jpg

seat rub strip rubber.jpg

side outside.jpg

seat outside washer.jpg

seat pin.jpg

seat pin 2.jpg

seat rub strip.jpg

seat rub strip rubber.jpg

side outside.jpg

seat outside washer.jpg

seat pin.jpg

seat pin 2.jpg

That is how they look, the center pins. You must have a stop broken or something. The passenger side should be an opposite duplicate. So what's missing on the driver's side? I have seen, when I worked at a dealership, heavy (fat), people destroy the framework of a seat. Compare the sides to each other and see what's missing. Cut the hog rings and pull the seat covers off. You can get a hog ring pliers and rings at any farm store, cheaply. The springs in the center may also be broken, then it's good luck finding a replacement.

Both sides look the same. Except I added that strip of rubber to make the drivers side stop thicker (and that helped).

When you say "springs in the center may be broken", what are you referring to? The seat springs inside the seat(s)? I don't think so; they feel and look fine.

If anyone has pictures if how these areas in question on a bench seat are supposed to look, I'd love to see them. This is how the car came to me and I honestly don't know if something is bent or missing.

I don't have a seat apart, and mine is a '69, but should be similar. Yes, inside springs under the driver. They maybe fine, I had 2 broken in mine.
Will see if I can remember to snap a picture tomorrow.

Yeah, the seat springs, cushions, upholstery, etc., are all in nice shape and refurbished. There's just something wonky with the driver side seat back.

You're simply going to have to get the covers off and inspect it. It's not going to magically somehow fix itself, no matter how bad you want it to. I would be hoping for that too, if it was mine, because it's going to be a little bit of a pain. If you're careful with those covers, you can get them off and back on without damage. Let me get out to the shop in a few and I'll get you a picture or three if Vixen's seat backs. Give me a few. Coffee ain't kicked in yet. lol

RRR is probably your guy for this! He's right, shouldn't damage the seat covers removing them, take pictures before you start cutting the hog rings.

Here's mine. This is in a 64 Valiant 2 door seeedan.
Here's how mine is attached on the outside hinge.

DSCF2556.JPG

In the inside.
DSCF2557.JPG

And the back of the seat bottom where the back of the seat rests. I think this is where yours is broken. There's also something obvious going on with yours on that inside hinge area as well, not to mention that ridiculous clevis pin on the outside. You just need to get it apart and "see" what's going on. You may end up needing another seat frame. I just don't know.
DSCF2558.JPG

The 'hook' in the center looks bent down a bit, also, I've seen people drill a hole and use a pin on the outer hinge because the metal caps pop off, but it looks like the hole/pin are too far out on the stud causing the seat to slide away from the center pin.

Also, there should be a hard plastic stop screwed to the bottom of the seat back, and a corresponding metal stop screwed to back of the seat bottom, that stops the seat from going backwards.

I doubt that inner stud is bent, they are tough, but when he opens the seat up, he can compare it to the passenger side.

It's just a tough call with the cover still on. Once you get the cover off, it should become obvious.

I have to agree with others comments. Peel the upholstery off to repair the chair.

Everybody mentions the clevis pin, but this is my first Valiant .... what's supposed to be there? I see RRR's pic above but can't make out how it's attached ... what's holding it on.

Have you removed the seat covers? When you do, compare the driver's side and passenger side. Shouldn't be any more questions.

-
Back