1965 Valiant + Gen 3- 6.4 Hemi

-

Rtwilson8

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I know this post might not be for everyone seeing as I'm putting a Gen 3 in a a body. I understand purests and I'm not here to cause anyou stir ups. Just looking for a little help. I will be putting a new tubular k member in the car soon. Anyone have suggestions on who's to use? Also, if anyone's done this swap before can you please give me advice on what headers you are using? Looking at long tubes, but need to make them fit. I figure this will be a custom job. Thanks for any and all help!

Attachments

• 20160401_124343.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 581
I think that will be a cool swap! You might check out HemiDenny on this very forum. He is always here, always provides support and builds really NICE products.

Here is his web site.

http://www.moparsuspension.com/

Looks like a fun project. Look up tincups restoration thread on his hemi early a. There is a lot of good information there. Also be sure to spend some time in the new hemi swap forum.

To heck with any purists who don't like this build. This Is the very reason I joined a bodies only. This is Exactly the type build I want to see !

Nice 65! Would love to see more pics. Mine is a 65 Signet. I'm down in Miami. Wish you were a little closer. And you won't hurt my feeling if you're able to shoe horn that hemi in between the fender wells. Would love to see it happen.

Soldier on!

I just "finished" up a project putting a gen3 426 hemi in a 66 barracuda and drove it out to MATS a few weeks ago. As far as tubular k member there are several options, but I used the Alterktion front suspension system (and StreetLynx 4 link in the rear as well). Bill Reilly has been wonderful to work with and I always get great support from him.

As far as exhaust, long tubes are a long shot. TTi doesn't make them but you could take a risk and get a set their >67 a body hemi swap headers and "massage" them to fit. Or you could get them custom made for a small fortune. I opted to use SRT8 Jeep grand cherokee headers. I got a set for cheap from a jeep speed shop for $150. I had to modify the driver side a bit to get it to work. I detailed this modification in my build thread (more like a story) in the early a body forum which I still need to finish.<http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/17/11548.html?1446838489>, starting at post #8. I've talked to quite a few folks who've settled my disappointment with not using long tube headers. Basically, dyno testes have shown that you only gain several more horsepower using long tubes over SRT exhaust manifolds. In my opinion, the gain isn't worth the huge extra expense & effort. I mean, a gen3 in an early A is a pretty wild already, and I think its a hell of a great idea!

...I'm putting a Gen 3 in a a body...if anyone's done this swap before can you please give me advice on what headers you are using? Looking at long tubes, but need to make them fit.

I love the idea of having a Hemi in an early A-Body but, if this is your first time installing one, you'll soon find out out that everything is tight in these cars. Definitely plan on a custom exhaust and be prepared to do some creative modifications to make them work. The Hemi also seems to be much wider than an LA block, which makes things considerably worse (the LA is a pretty tight fit as it is).

You will definitely want to consider going with a rack & pinion setup - the stock Mopar steering box will greatly interfere with the exhaust on the driver's side - but you may have to postpone the kids' college fund to get one!

And forget about power brakes. Oh, I'm sure you could probably shoe-horn a power brake unit in there, but it will take up a huge amount of of valuable real estate. Heck, I'm having a hard time just fitting a windshield washer tank in mine!

`

What's wrong with that? Great engine - will make for a FUN car!

That 65 tunnel is going to take on a whole new shape with that big 'ol tranny in there! Are you going with the new style or adapting a 727/904?

welcome to FABO Rtwilson8 , I'm going to watch this through. I also like the idea of the Hemi in an early A. You have a great looking car to start with and I'm sure it will make a fantastic sleeper. It is a tight fit but there is a few that have done it already including tin cup and his build is on FABO.
Keep us posted and good luck.

hell ya welcome aboard the gen3 train abodies world. everythings tight. nothing is made directly for it yet and nobody really knows exactly gonna work for you. lmao

but you will be the bomb diggity when your up and running.

Thanks everyone for the help so far! I think I've decided to go with the AlterKtion front end. I will post more pictures of the valiant when I get a chance. I will be looking to sell a blue printed 318 punched to a 324 and a chrysler 4 speed transmission with over drive, anyone know how much I should sell it for?

-
Back