1965 Valiant - Operating lever for backup light switch

-

bradmancan

65 Valiant Wagon
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
On a 65 Valiant wagon, I am working on getting the backup lights going. I'm fine with the lighting and wiring. My issue is the missing (down low on the) steering column "operating lever" to make contact with the red nipple or lever on the backup/reverse switch once installed.

Using a mirror and light I have a picture of hole on steering column near where backup/reverse switch I presume will attach with the gear selector in 2nd for picture taking purposes to bring both 1/4 squarish holes into view. It appears that the "operating lever" would somehow mount to these 1/4" squarish holes and be between.

I've been over the service manual and it doesn't seem to offer more than a picture of the switch attached. No details on the "operating lever.

Anyone know of the part I need or some creative fix so that I can get the "operating lever" in tact and the backup lights going?

Thanks in advance!!

20201026_213141.jpg

I have the service manual for 1965 and it gives little detail other than a sketch of the switch installed. No detail on the "operating lever" that is mounted to steering column shaft.

The later model collapsible columns had a plastic pin poked in the shift tube ( until 68 when reverse lamp switch moved from shifter to the neutral safety switch ). I put a link to that plastic pin in a similar thread just a few days ago. Here is a pic of the correct part for your 65 model.... [WANTED] - Back-up light pin actuator for 1965 Dart
If google search or parts wanted here doesn't produce one, If you'll have to make a different attach/hole either way you may as well put a small bolt in it. Other owners/members have done that. They may have had to take the column apart, remove the steering shaft to get a bolt in there.
If I was going to attempt this, my 1st effort would likely be what is called a closet bolt. It holds a toilet to the floor flange. The thin coin like head could be radiused a tad to lay to the inside of the shift tube. Maybe one edge of it turned up 90 degrees too?

The later model collapsible columns had a plastic pin poked in the shift tube ( until 68 when reverse lamp switch moved from shifter to the neutral safety switch ). I put a link to that plastic pin in a similar thread just a few days ago. Here is a pic of the correct part for your 65 model.... [WANTED] - Back-up light pin actuator for 1965 Dart
If google search or parts wanted here doesn't produce one, If you'll have to make a different attach/hole either way you may as well put a small bolt in it. Other owners/members have done that. They may have had to take the column apart, remove the steering shaft to get a bolt in there.
If I was going to attempt this, my 1st effort would likely be what is called a closet bolt. It holds a toilet to the floor flange. The thin coin like head could be radiused a tad to lay to the inside of the shift tube. Maybe one edge of it turned up 90 degrees too?
How about using a rivnut/nutsert in the shaft? A lenght of all-thread, jam nut & some locktite.

How about using a rivnut/nutsert in the shaft? A lenght of all-thread, jam nut & some locktite.
I cant say what would work best. I dont know if there will be a full round hole or u shape hole. I only know its a thin wall tubing and there isn't a lot of clearance between inside of tubing and the steering shaft.

Got the reverse lights working. Thank you forum for helping me figure out the Mopar part #2587613 which is the backup lamp package for 1965. The kit includes all you need to get them working. Didn't have to drop the column, not sure it would have saved any time. Easy install as my front seat was out.

Got the reverse lights working. Thank you forum for helping me figure out the Mopar part #2587613 which is the backup lamp package for 1965. The kit includes all you need to get them working. Didn't have to drop the column, not sure it would have saved any time. Easy install as my front seat was out.
Happy Moparing

-
Back