1966 273 afb

-

66cuda-s

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 1966 Formula S with the "Clean Air Package" (CAP). The carburator is a Carter AFB 4120S (stamped on the base - it has no tag). My question is: What is the difference between the regular AFB and CAP?

The engine has a breather on the rocker cover on the Drivers side that has a hose that goes to the base of the Carb - I believe this is the PCV. The other rocker cover has a breather that has a hose that goes to the outside cover on the air filter. Is this different than the "regular" 273's (not CAP)?

I am sure the carburator needs to be rebuilt, it has been sitting for 10 or so years. I don't know if it would be best to rebuild it or get a new one (like an Edelbrock - I see them on e-Bay for ~$150), but I don't know which model to get.

Thanks for your thoughts.

All 66's had the PCV and hose to the lower part of the carb, but CAP cars also had the hose from the air filter housing to the oil filler cap. This way oil vapors get trapped in the filter instead of venting directly to the atmosphere. Later CAP cars had charcoal cannisters but they showed up in 70-72 or so.

I would just dissasemble and clean your current carb and give it a shot. As long as the engine is pretty close to stock, it will work just fine. It was designed for that applicaation. If you do convert to an Edelbrock 1406 you will need to change you air filter base as well. If you chose to take this route, I'd be glad to take the original AFB off your hands.

Thanks for the comments. I will do a rebuild on the carb. Anyone know a good place to get e rebuild kit? I thought that rock auto had them, but now I can't find them. Thanks again.

Sure, here's a few:
The Carburetor Shop www.thecarburetorshop.com/Frames.htm
Carbs unlimited www.carburetion.com
The Carburetor Factory www.thecarburetorfactory.com
Thermoquads.com www.thermoquads.com
Kanter www.kanter.com

Also a couple of other helpful links:
Carter AFB Rebuild http://www.chip.com/buick/techtips/afb.html
Metering rod/jet matrix http://cars.rasoenterprises.com/Carbs-CarterAFB_Jetting.htm
AVS rebuild http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/155_0305_carter_avs_carburetor_install/

There's much more out there, do a google.

A non-CAP car does not have the nipple on the chrome air cleaner. My '65-S was a CAP car, but I have a non-original motor along with a nippleless air cleaner, only because I prefer the look of it and it's the one I managed to buy for a good price. :)

I have another question... I learned about mymopar.com from this site and they have lots of good info including a carburetor guide. This guide lists the AFB 4120 as an automatic trans carb, and the AFB 4119 as the manual trans carb. My 66 Barracuda has a manual trans with a 4120S carb (the fender tag and build sheet both validate that this is a 4-speed car). What's up with that? Thanks.

66cuda-s said:
I have another question... I learned about mymopar.com from this site and they have lots of good info including a carburetor guide. This guide lists the AFB 4120 as an automatic trans carb, and the AFB 4119 as the manual trans carb. My 66 Barracuda has a manual trans with a 4120S carb (the fender tag and build sheet both validate that this is a 4-speed car). What's up with that? Thanks.

Maybe the car was built on a Monday,
and the guy was hungover, and threw the wrong carb on.
LOL.

Remember these cars were built on an assembly line,
not one at a time.

-
Back